322 head gasket

Guest heatsley

Guest heatsley

I am installing NOS  head gaskets on my 56 322 engine.   there is a cooling passage from the block water jacket to  the head  between center cylinders, on the lower side of head. the passage is round , and about the size of a dime.   the head gasket is not stamped out for this passage.   Neither is the  BEST   gasket set I have on hand, but am reluctant to use. ( had advice to use only NOS  metal gaskets)   The gaskets I removed were either  drilled or crudely cut out to accommodate the passage.           the  new gasket appears to be marked buick series 40, 50, 60 , 70 , and matches up in every other way.

Wondering whether to punch out the hole, or if there is a reason  (coolant flow) to leave it blocked by the gasket.   thanks

The reason I was wondering about matching holes in the heads' deck surface was that in the world of chasing Chrysler 440 blocks, one of the alleged best blocks was used in the earlier 1970s motorhome applications.  These blocks were readily apparent (with the special heads removed) as they had an "hour glass" shape for the front water "hole" in the block's deck.  It would appear that these holes were that way to flow MORE water in the designated HD application.  Only thing was that the designated head gaskets had the normal SMALL hole as other RB engines used.  The water passage holes then became a ready-identifier for workers on the line to identify the motorhome blocks at sight, as assemblies with particular color stripes/daubs would do.

The motorhome blocks might have had other unique features (up to and including a different mix of cast iron for improved durability from what the cars normally saw), but those hour glass "holes" were easy identifiers for the blocks.  The cylinder heads were unique as the combustion chamber was more like the chamber on LA small block motors, but sized for the larger cylinder bore and larger valves, normal RB intake manifolds fit, but the exhaust ports were all SEPARATE rather than the centers being siamesed . . . to spread the heat as on a big block Chevy.

So, just a curious "wondering".

Thanks,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Normal coolant flow:  lower radiator hose > water pump > lower block > back of cylinder head > across cylinder head > out front of cylinder head into the crossover manifold > thermostat > upper radiator hose...

You would not want any shortcuts through the center...anyhow those center holes were for removal of casting material and there is no corresponding opening in the cylinder head or block that matches.

• Like 4