Stromberg KR No. 2 Brass Carburetor - For What Make and Year?

TexRiv_63

Found this gigantic brass / bronze carburetor, a Stromberg KR No. 2 with serial or model number 318947. It has a 1 7/16" throttle bore and 2 3/4" O.C. attaching bolts. Can anyone tell me what kind of car this was used on and also the year, or point me to a resource for identification. Thanks for your help.

DSCF8418.JPG

DSCF8419.JPG

DSCF8423.JPG

It's probably for an early truck, Fire truck or industrial engine.  It could have been an O.E.M. fitment but Stromberg was also big in the replacement market. They even marketed replacement intake manifolds to allow the use of their products on older trucks . A %100 I.D. with regard to application is sometimes impossible.

Greg in Canada

2 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I can't believe that I stumped this group...

You didn't, just giving others an opportunity to answer.

It was used on a 1915 Jeffery 2 ton. The carb was serviced by replacing with a Stromberg M-2.

This is truly a one make, one year, one model carburetor.

The Stromberg K series was a transition model between the older glass bowl models, and the newer type L, M, and O models. Only a handful were produced.

Jon

• 4 years later...

According to Stromberg, the K-1 (similar to the KR-2, but definitely NOT interchangeable) was sold to Allen for a short time in 1916. Sometime in mid-1916, the K-1 was replaced with an M-1, and the K-1 was discontinued for Allen. The Hatfield did use the K-1 into 1917 (possibly because the model was held over).

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1