Storage in an Enclosed Trailer

Curti

3 minutes ago, Stude Light said:

For moisture, it's not so much the rain but having a warm moist air mass move into an area that has cold soaked at 10 degrees F for a week.  It takes a lot of time for that car to stabilize temperature and, unless a trailer is really sealed well, the moisture in the air will get in and condense on that nice cold block of steel.  So you either regulate the temperature (heater) to keep the car from getting cold enough to condense the moisture or regulate the moisture (dehumidifier or large amounts of desiccant).  I have two options for mice...typical mousetraps that you need to check occasionally or the 5 gallon pail solution.....it has been mentioned in other threads.  The one with the rotating plastic pop (soda for others) bottle with peanut butter on it and water or non-toxic antifreeze in the bottom.

Scott

We store this car in our trailer and we have weather from the 20s, not often to 145 in the trailer. Our humidity goes from an average 40% to 100% for the last month. We do not experience any of the problems above. I'm not a rocket scientist, can someone explain that to me?

Rear (5).JPG

I have an obsession with killing mice. In the year of 2016 I averaged 1.4 mice a day, over 365 days. One time I had 5 small ones in a glue pad at once. They are really stupid little creatures. 

The enclosed trailers are high quality and very tight.  The only place there is a possibility, is thru a hole in the floor board where  the power winch wire cuts thru. Steel wool packed in that hole. 

I think the most cost effective thing to do on the short term is bring the 110V home dehumidifier to the trailer and plug it in mid March until the time I remove the car which should be mid May.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, countrytravler said:

We store this car in our trailer and we have weather from the 20s, not often to 145 in the trailer. Our humidity goes from an average 40% to 100% for the last month. We do not experience any of the problems above. I'm not a rocket scientist, can someone explain that to me?

If the trailer is well sealed then you probably wouldn't have an issue (additional humidity can't get in).

21 minutes ago, Curti said:

I have an obsession with killing mice. In the year of 2016 I averaged 1.4 mice a day, over 365 days. One time I had 5 small ones in a glue pad at once. They are really stupid little creatures.

After having them destroy a few things I have the same obsession.

• Like 1

It's not only mice. I've found snake skins, mud wasp nests and the worst is seeing what a nest of black carpenter ants will do to upholstery and fabric. The problem is this nice, immobile, nesting site sitting outside where the critters are, just waiting to be used...............Bob

That would help, I'm sure. I looked at a permetherin  spray system to control flies in the stable but opted for less toxic means.

Personally I don't store a car in my trailer but I've seen what mice and carpenter ants can do. I just thought I'd throw it out there as food for thought..........Bob

• 2 years later...

Hello, I have a gorgeous 1964 Jaguar E-type that I have stored for 16 years in my daily use, unheated garage in western Michigan where temperture fluctuates from 70 to minus 15.  Wet, salt caked cars are in and out all winter.  The car is in a "Carjacket", heavy rip-stop plastic in which I put 3 small containers of desicant.  I use a vacuum to suck out excess air after zipping it up. Car comes out identical to the day I put it in.

Tenclays jag 013.JPG