1949 Buick Super Front Carpet Help

Guest Aquila

Hello Everyone -

I was referred to this site from a good source where I have been getting parts from for a 1949 Buick Super Wagon.  I am desperately searching for a replacement front mat for this car.  The original one is rubber and of course it has literally fallen to bits and we would love to replace it with another original.

I have been scouring the internet for a replacement for weeks and have so far come up empty handed.  I have found places that offer custom made carpeting, but I am hoping to be able to find the original rubber mat.  It is a tough task as this might be a one year only part..... but I am hoping to get lucky.

If anyone knows of anywhere I can find this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

I have a '49 Super wagon and I put carpet in mine because a replacement rubber mat is nearly impossible to find, and if you find one, it will likely be just as brittle as the original. The rubber mats trap water and condensation and contribute to floor rust, so you are better off with carpet. This is one area where I don't care what the judges think--I"m not going back to a rubber mat.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

14 hours ago, Imperial62 said:

Interesting comments.  Being rubber, couldn't these be a good opportunity for remanufactured?  Plus, I would think that they would be essentially the same from a period, say 1946 to 1953?  Not sure, just putting it out there for comment.

I would be thrilled if I could find one in good condition, let alone a new one or remanufactured one.  There is pretty much nothing out there.... unless I missed it.

14 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

I have a '49 Super wagon and I put carpet in mine because a replacement rubber mat is nearly impossible to find, and if you find one, it will likely be just as brittle as the original. The rubber mats trap water and condensation and contribute to floor rust, so you are better off with carpet. This is one area where I don't care what the judges think--I"m not going back to a rubber mat.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Thanks a bunch for the response Pete.  I made an interesting observation today.  Either the rubber mat in this car was added later in it's life or maybe it was a dealer option or something.  I noticed that the front carpet had actually been cut to accommodate the rubber mat.  The decision has been made and I will now be shopping for a replacement front mat / carpet. 

If you should have any suggestions, that would be terrific.

Thank You,

Michael

11 hours ago, 61polara said:

Contact Hill Jenkins at Jenkins Interiors in North Wilkesboro, NC.  I think his father, Louis used to have a source for new ones.  Don't have the phone number, but google it.

Thank You!   I found them online and will be giving them a call.  In case anyone else might want to contact them, here is the website:  http://www.jenkins-interiors.com/

There have been a few carpet sets showing up on eBay (Ben's Auto Parts), and I was considering a carpet set for my '41 to replace my rubber mat.  Other more important tasks to do meant that I didn't buy it, so I can't speak for quality/transaction, etc., but it might be worth looking into as another source.  
Thanks for the Jenkins heads-up!