1926? Cadillac

Dosmo

• 3 months later...

It is a model 341,  which we always placed as 1928 model or manufacture date.   The number is the piston displacement in cubic inches.  It is the first Cadillac V8 with side-by-side conrods.   The next model for 1929, (though start may have been late 1928) was the 353, due to slight increase in cylinder bore and piston displacement.  The wire wheeled 353 is easily recognised by bolt-on wheels instead of the previous big centre-lock Buffalo wheels.  The wheel studs are concealed by big hub caps..  The 314 in three series, A,B, and C, probably covered years 1925,6,&7 ; were the last with fork and blade connecting rods.  They looked less massive, and to my mind nicer, from the front.   The engine bearings were good for huge mileages if they were looked after and not driven without oil and water.   My friend Bob Craddock owned a 314C for probably 55 years,  using it mostly for club events;  but it had been owned and used by three generations of one family,  for a total of over 500,000 miles.  The last owner of that family I met on two or three occasions after he left this district, and talked about the car.   Graeme Fitzgibbon was a jazz musician who owned at managed two different hotels in the Warragul district,  and known as the "Singing Barman".   He was a nice bloke.     If you look at Maurice Hendry's book on Cadillac, he only referred to 2 different versions of the 314.   He was usually very thorough in his research, so it was with some embarrassment when he was visiting from NZ that I detailed the differences between the three series.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Correct this is a 1928 Cadillac 341A.  The 1929 341B had lights on the fender. 

Cadillac (And LaSalle) models used their CID as the model indicator. The letters indicated the year from first production. Most V-8 CID changed within 2 years so there is generally only an A & B model, however the V-12 (370) and the V-16 (452) had models 370A, through E . The 452 also ran from model 452A  through E. 

Eventually Cad advertising promoted their famous "V-8, V-12, V-16" tag lines and the model 'numbers' faded away.