Picture of 1937 Zephyr Oil Filter?

John_Mc

Hi folks, anyone have a picture of what the correct oil filter looks like for my 1937 Zephyr??  My car did not have one, but with a rebuilt engine, I most definitely am going to install one and if I'm going to do it, why not get the correct one???  Thanks in advance.

On January 20, 2017 at 5:51 PM, 38ShortopConv. said:

Hi, have a look at [ Engine Removal ] 39 Zephyr post first picture, oil filter shown there I think would be similar to 37, someone will correct me if its not. Cheers Roy.

Roy, wher can I find the picture?

On January 20, 2017 at 11:41 AM, John_Mc said:

Hi folks, anyone have a picture of what the correct oil filter looks like for my 1937 Zephyr??  My car did not have one, but with a rebuilt engine, I most definitely am going to install one and if I'm going to do it, why not get the correct one???  Thanks in advance.

Hi John, You looking for a picture of the filter itself or the filter image.jpeghousing ?

Thanks once again Ken, I need the whole enchilada, although it looks like now I need a whole engine or just sell the car.  My engine man said it needs everything, maybe even the block. :-(

Hi John, You looking for a picture of the filter itself or the filter image.jpeghousing ?

Edited by Ken/Alabama (see edit history)

Thanks once again Ken, I need the whole enchilada, although it looks like now I need a whole engine or just sell the car.  My engine man said it needs everything, maybe even the block. :-(

Hi John, You looking for a picture of the filter itself or the filter 

3 hours ago, John_Mc said:

your block cracked??

housing ?

• 11 months later...
11 hours ago, John_Mc said:

Ken, do you have a diagram on how to hook it up?

Also, what is the correct decal?  Now that I finally have my newly rebuilt engine back, I want to protect it.

If your engine is a 37 it came with mechanical lifters . I'm thinking that the routing for the supply and return might be different than the later V12s with the hydraulic lifters.  Maybe Cboz or someone else that has a correct 37 engine will shed some light on this. 

John, you could check if your hydraulic motor  still has hydraulic lifters or been changed to solid lifters. On 36/ 37 LZ motors the oil filter return pipe is routed to the  pan tray. The supply pipe is connected to one of the two oil supply holes on  top left of bell housing.[ The filter is only a bypass filter not a full flow filter].  On hydraulic lifter motors[ from 38] the filter return pipe is connected to a third hole on bell  housing [lower left below  two supply holes] this delivers filtered oil to the hydraulic lifter oil gallery.[ The 36/37 motors don't have this third lower  hole only the two top holes.] When  a  hydraulic motor is converted to solid lifters the hydraulic lifter oil gallery is blocked by the solid lifter [no oil groove]  at the rear lifter left and right side so there is no oil circulating from the filter. It would just stagnate. Don't panic! The bearings are still receiving oil direct from pump. But its unfiltered.  You could plug that bell housing third hole up and direct return pipe to sump as per 36/37 motor or run a oil pipe from rear metering valve cap to front oil pressure valve cap, this would direct filtered oil to cam gear and in turn to rest of motor. With hydraulic lifters fitted oil travels to cam gear via hydraulic oil gallery anyway as per factory. To add to confusion Early 38 motors don't have that third hole just metering valve inside so oil filter would return to pan.  

Thanks for the reply, but I must write that I’m a novice at V-12’s and your response was a little confusing.  Is a diagram available somewhere??  Also, while my car is a 1937, this engine has without question hydraulic lifters. 

John,   LZ. hydraulic lifter oil gallery layout is rather complex and confusing particularly if you are not familiar with the layout. Its taken me over 20 years to sort of understand it. But that's another story. Your problem was mainly oil filters, I think thats sorted now. I lost track whether  you had solid lifters or not. Roy 

Edited by 38ShortopConv. (see edit history)

• 9 months later...

That's the same as my '41 filter.  The elements when you change the oil is available from Advance Auto Parts.  Their number for the original filter  (P34) is L30034 and the last price I paid was less than $7.00 each.  I buy them by the case as it's cheaper on the freight.  As to hydraulic or solid lifters, the connection is different but mine is hydraulic and no particular reason to change that.  If you change your oil regularly even if you don't drive much the lifters should be fine.  Ford always wanted an oil change every 1000 miles.  I do use Mobil 1 motor oil and it works well.