Sealer for Trim

kdml

I'm restoring all of the trim from my '65.  The trim piece between the rear window and trunk lid had a sealer to prevent water from getting into the trunk.  Any recommendations on what to replace this with?  It appears to be more pliable then regular seam sealer.

Also, the trim appears to have been partially painted black.  Was this original?  If so, should it have been a flat or gloss black?

Thanks

Doug

trim2.jpg

trim1.jpg

Edited by kdml (see edit history)

The trim piece is only sealed around the mounting holes with perma-gum, or dumb-dumb, otherwise known as plain old gray weather stripping caulk.

The inserts were painted with a matt semi gloss finish, which fades and goes flat with age in addition to fading, and thinning out on the pot metal trim piece.

I used a vinyl, semi gloss, sign makers 3M tape to refinish the lower black painted mouldings on my '68 some 40+ years ago.

They look just as good today as they did when they were refurbished, without any problems.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have dismantled many first gen Riviera's over the years and the moldings had a putty like substance applied around the mounting studs. If applying new material, you have to torque these down to get a tight seal but not to the point where you distort the moulding or the body.  Use a liberal amount when re-instaling.  You can cut away any excess that may ooze out from under the molding once done.  Do yourself a favor and do a water test to make sure nothing is leaking into the trunk once you are done and the material has cured a bit.  Although most leaks originate from under the lower rear window moulding, I have seen some leak from the moulding you are working with due to the material drying out from age.