1951 CHEVROLET CAR SERIAL NUMBER

bobg1951chevy

I own two 1951 Chevys.
Both are legal, no issues with the serial numbers.
BUT, I have ongoing issues with the NC DMV, since OCTOBER.
NC PLATES were issued in October, a clear, clean NC TITLE was issued in NOVEMBER.
Issue NOW, for the NC DMV, is the physical appearance of the serial number tag itself.
Serial number tags on both of my 1951 Chevys look identical, both cars were assembled in Janesville, Wisconsin.
3 weeks ago, the issue for the NC DMV was the manner in which the serial number tag was attached to the A pillar (rivets on mine ).
NC DMV said serial number tag had to be welded on, but we got past that point.
Bottom line, today is the third time in 3 months that the NC DMV inspector (police officer) is coming to my home. Very upsetting to this old guy.
I need your assistance now.
IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS A LEGITIMATE 1951 CHEVROLET PASSENGER CAR, I need a photo of the serial number tag.
Cover part of the serial number itself, if you like, but I need photo proof to show the NC DMV that this car is legal, based on the appearance of the serial number tag.
The NC DMV also states a SECOND SERIAL NUMBER is located on the passenger side of the floor, on the 1951 Chevrolet. Not on mine.
I'm growing weary from this type of action from the NC DMV.
Please assist, if you are able to do so.
Thanks, Bob. 12-29-2016.

I can't help with a picture of the VIN tag, but I can offer a piece of advice:  If this witch-hunt continues after today, consider paying a visit to your local elected official (state senator/ congressman or equivalent) and seek their assistance.   It's amazing how effective they can be at helping their constituents when they're politely approached. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold said:

I can't help with a picture of the VIN tag, but I can offer a piece of advice:  If this witch-hunt continues after today, consider paying a visit to your local elected official (state senator/ congressman or equivalent) and seek their assistance.   It's amazing how effective they can be at helping their constituents when they're politely approached. 

Good advice and thank you. This has been intimidating.

Just now, Phillip Cole said:

There is a picture -with rivets and sealant- for 51 Chevy on 

chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com

As best as I can tell, it is in a  49 - 53 Shop Manual.

That picture is the problem for the NC DMV, and ultimately me.

The pic shows a large serial number tag, but the ACTUAL serial number tag, on the car, is not that large, is not black, does not have the Chevy bowtie.

Mine  is aluminum in color, and more narrow, on both of my '51's.

THE NC DMV wants my A pillar tag to look EXACTLY like the one in the manual, thus my request for folks to send me their serial number tag photos, so I can challenge the thinking of the NC DMV.

2 hours ago, Harold said:

I would not have thought of this approach, thank you Harold.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 3:47 PM, mercer09 said:

I can send you one if you forward your email address. Yes it is rivets and no, there is none on the floor.

NC dmv has incorrect information-fact.

Being that you sent me your serial number pic, I will reply to you, with the update.

In the '49 to '53 GM Chevy Shop Manual, there are pics of various serial number locations, in the front of the manual.

In those pics, the serial number tag is a LARGE TAG, much larger, with an overall different appearance,  than the slender serial number tag, found on my  passenger car "A Pillar post".

The NC DMV stated MY  serial number tag should look exactly like the one shown, in the manual.

Your pic, plus pics from other folks at another site, were sent to the local trooper/inspector, who then forwarded the pics to the Raleigh office. ALL OF THOSE PICS SENT, LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE MY SERIAL NUMBER TAG.

Another poster came forward, stated that the LARGE serial number tag, as shown in the manual, is the EXACT tag, which is found on the Chevy 1/2 ton pick up truck.  This was then verified from other pick up truck owners. This info was also sent to the NC DMV.

NC DMV then agreed to close the bogus investigation on my illegal serial number tag.

NC DMV was woefully inaccurate with their information, yet they were very difficult to convince .....

End of story ..... I hope.

Thank you, mercer09.

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nice detective work Bob!

just goes to show you the gov is often wrong in their assessments and that one should pursue what is right and not worry about their mistakes.

remember, there are many ways to skin a cat. (bad analogy, but you get my point).

• Like 1

Make sure that you keep at least two copies of all the documentation that you have reguarding this situation.  Make sure they are kept in totally different (safe) locations. Perhaps one at another family members home and one in a safety box at the bank.  It might help you or someone who purchases your car in the future.

1 hour ago, Tinindian said:

Make sure that you keep at least two copies of all the documentation that you have reguarding this situation.  Make sure they are kept in totally different (safe) locations. Perhaps one at another family members home and one in a safety box at the bank.  It might help you or someone who purchases your car in the future.

Good information, thanks.