1959 dual sun visors?

WQ59B

In 1995 I took note (& a pic) of a '59 Olds 4-dr hardtop with REAR fold-down sun visors (just like the fronts). I was amazed to see something 'new' to me, having never seen rear visors on any other car. I assumed at the time it was a owner modification.<P>Tonight paging thru the current Old Car Auto Trader, I noticed an ad for a '59 98 2-dr hardtop with REAR VISORS!<P>Can anyone verify if this was a factory item? Was it a '59 or '59-60 only option? What gives here? confused.gif" border="0

I have heard of this for years, but have never actually seen a photo until clicking on the link you provided. I believe that this was an Oldsmobile exclusive, and I've heard of it only in reference to the '59 -- not sure about the '60. I am also uncertain whether this was a standard item or an option. I had long thought that this was offered only on the 2-door hardtop models, since the rear glass extended above the heads of rear seat passengers. You indicate, however, that you had also seen this on the four-door hardtop. <P>Your comments prompt some recollection that Buick offered some sort of accessory sun shield for the upper portion of the rear window on the '59 2-door hardtops. I will check my literature to see what I can turn up.<p>[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: Centurion ]

The only thing I can find in my 1960 sales folder and chassis manual is they used a heat resistant backlight on all series SceniCoupe hardtops. It had a reflective tinted band at top of the glass since rear seat passengers' necks were right under it. This reflective tint was later used on 1966-70 Toronados.<P>But I swear I've seen it somewhere that these rear sunvisors were available on the Sixty Holiday coupes as well as the 59s.<P>With that huge wraparound back glass and roof overhang, rear visors would have made little sense for the 4d HT.<P>Here's a tidbit: opening page of the 60 sales folder blares "Radiantly styled... for the Rocketing Sixties!" Further in at the Dynamic 88 Fiesta wagon page: "Designed for the Dynamic Decade!"<P>Gawd- what happened to advertising like that?<BR>Made you want to BUY cars!

If I can remember (car apart too long frown.gif" border="0 )- I can touch the top edge of the rear glass on my '59 Invicta 2-dr hardtop from the front seat- just reaching backwards over my head. Yes- the glass extends pretty far on those '59-60 2-dr hdtps. Interesting that Chevy, Buick, Pontiac or Cadillac --which all used the exact same backlight-- didn't feel fit to also offer rear sun visors... also I've never seen a shaded backlight on the sister divisions, either. At least... not that we've seen evidence of them yet. Keep searching for some factory documentation, guys!<P>While on the subject of wierd factory sun visors, anyone seen the giant tip-down blue plexiglass shade on '58 Pontiacs (for the windshield)? It was a one-piece, full width curved piece that had a slot so it could straddle the rearview mirror's stalk. I've only seen it in a feature article on a '58 Bonne. <P>Sigh... the 'good ol' days' when the divisions operated independantly! grin.gif" border="0

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I own a 1959 Olds SS-88 Holiday Sport Sedan, the 4dr hard top model with the wrap around rear window.<P>I do agree, the sun visors would do little for the 4 dr "Flat Top Hardtop model.<P>I do have a 1959 "Models/Features/Facts" book (dealer's book), showing the rear sun visors as a factory option on the Holiday Sceni-Coupe models.<P>Scott Mich OCA 3947, BCA 6619<BR>1959 Olds SS-88 Holiday Sport Sedan<BR>1955 Buick Roadmaster Convertible # 76C<BR>1960 Corvair Model 700 De-Luxe<BR>1978 Pontiac Bonneville, Brougham<BR>1986 Buick Century<BR>and a few others