55 T-Bird Fuel Line Question

John348

I found a guy under 40 who has a interest in our hobby that I have been helping. I gave him guidance, and the first thing I told him was to join the AACA and then one of the T-bird clubs. He inherited his fathers 55 T-Bird that was driver-project to be a driver car. It was taken apart and cobbed together here and there and his father had a rather large inventory of parts he had purchased over the years, but nothing that the project needed at this point. After a nice fall afternoon we were able to inventory everything and made a list of priorities of what areas I felt we needed to start with. It was a toss up between the 5 gallon plastic gas can in the trunk and the 3/8' rubber hose tie-wrapped to the chassis that was leaking, everywhere or tackle the electrical harnesses that were cut an tapped all over. I told him that we need to get it to start and move without going on fire first, then stopping it will be next. 

I am a Chevy guy and i don't have the knowledge or familiarity of these certain things on these cars, or even where to go. Having installed replacement fuel lines for other cars I realize that they were meant to be installed on the frame before the the body goes on. I need a clear photos or sketch of how the rear line is routed from the tank and where it passes over the frame. His Dad actually had an NOS tank from Ford which was pretty cool. I know I am going to have to cut the line and put a union in somewhere, but there might be a chance that I can slip this in if I remove the shock? I just need to see some photos of a frame during the restoration.

Thanks

It was a pleasure to help someone when you give them a list of what they need to get and he got everything I thought he needed. It has been a learning experience for me working on something else, also learned I can't fit my fat a@@ behind the wheel of one of those cars anymore

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

There's also a few other Thunderbird web sites that could be very helpful. One is the Classic Thunderbirds International (CTCI), another is squarebirds.org. I found those to be most useful when searching for information. You could also contact a Thunderbird parts house like Hill's Thunderbirds in Ohio. The technicians there are always glad to talk with people and try to help out. You might even be able to see a picture of the system and all associated bracketry in their on-line catalog.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)

Thanks for the lead's, much appreciated. he had two different catalogs from separate vendors and they both had the same drawing. he had been dealing with Larry's T-Bird because his father did, I t is a hard question to ask on the phone and probably harder to answer, I just need a visual and now with your help you narrowed it down for me.

I have to admit it's fun to learn about something that is new to me. I always liked the 55-57 T-Birds but never realized how small they really are, they did not seem that small when I weighed 165 lbs..... many years ago

Jim 

Thank-you so much, that is exactly what we needed to get this "dead" bird flying again. I think we are going to have to put a union in not enough room to make the swing, doing this on jack stands and a tight garage. I figured that it would ride along the brake line, but they are cobbed together also, stopping is next years project.