1979 Lincoln Town Car

victorialynn2

6 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The fix is to find the leak and repair it. Could be a rusty vacuum tank (looks like a tomato juice can painted black). Could be a rubber vacuum hose the size of a pencil, dried out hardened and cracked or just pulled loose. Could be a failed diaphragm in the vacuum motor. Bad control switch etc.

Doors should close when you start the engine, if the system is sealed perfect like new will stay closed for a week. If there is a leak they will open when you shut off the engine, how fast they open tells how big the leak is.

It is important to fix the vacuum leak(s) ASAP, if it does prove to be a leaker.  Air-borne dust is being sucked into the engine as its unfiltered. 

Craig

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

It is important to fix the vacuum leak(s) ASAP, if it does prove to be a leaker.  Air-borne dust is being sucked into the engine as its unfiltered. 

Craig

Thank you. I spoke with someone today who has worked on these cars with my father and was able to give me a lot of background info. He said it was running, as all the cars and even the loose V8 engines he has did, when it was put in the garage for storage. So any dust would have been accumulated in storage to date. 

On December 1, 2016 at 7:25 PM, victorialynn2 said:

She's all cleaned up!

File_000_(16).jpeg

Oh my gosh ... did she clean up nice. ;)  Dang..............  Did someone say "ROAD TRIP"?!!?!?!?!?

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc
"May your days be merry & bright" | Irving Berlin/Bing Crosby | 'White Christmas'

• Like 1