Speedo problem

Guest LillyBelle

Guest LillyBelle

I have a 1951 Dodge Meadowbrook with fluid drive. I recently put a new speedometer cable on and used graphite for lube in the cable. After putting the new cable on I took her for a test drive and the speedo worked but was a little jerky. When I got home home I shut her off then went out a short while later for a drive and the speedometer was no longer working! I removed the cable from the transmission and found that the end had twisted off and broke that goes inside the transmission.  Could this be from the speedometer binding up since the transmission was end was turning? 

Thanks!!

image.jpeg

I don't know about 1951, but my 1930 speedo is made of die-cast. The mixture in the die-cast is not so good and the zinc corrodes, causing the item to expand. In the speedo, the expansion binds the feed shaft into the speedo and the cable does just what you have found. I also find the door lock barrel in the handle is die-cast and is doing the same thing, making it hard to turn the key.

Be aware that graphite is at the bottom of the galvanic table and will promote corrosion of most metals in the presence of moisture and oxygen. You need to keep it greased = moist.

Maybe you used too much lube and it worked up into the speedometer itself causing it to seize.  Remember to only lube a speedo cable for the bottom third.