Porsche 530 based on 356;

HistoryBuff

I thought I had every 356 model pictured but when I came across the Porsche 530, a very ugly pugnacious looking 356 picture, I was thrown aback;

like how could they conceive of something so ugly (actually it looks like a certain Saab) but I wanted to know if there's pictures of it in any magazine or book or a history of what it was built for (some other company?) It is easy to confuse it with the Studebaker prototype they built and which Studebaker tested but not the same car. This one, in the black and white photos, is a dark color and more or less follows the 356 lines, mostly less.

That's it! Interestingly, Karl Ludvigsen mentions the Type 530 on page 75 of Volume 1, Excellence Was Expected, but only shows a side drawing of the cabriolet version and no prototype photos.  He writes that two prototypes were built in 1952, a coupe and a cabriolet.  This was Porsche's first flirtation with a four passenger car and had a lengthened wheelbase of 2,400mm (94.5) inches.  They were built "for marketing and technical reasons" but not put into production, probably due to the strong demand for the 356.  Porsche was still a young company and expanding their product line may have been cost prohibitive.