NEW PAINT AGAIN

LAS VEGAS DAVE

I had my 38 painted a few months ago. I liked the way it looked but it was chalky and every time I touched it a new mark appeared. I was probably going to live with it but then a drill motor fell off a shelf in the garage onto the rear fender. The dent was the final straw and I decided to paint it again. I decided this time to use PPG single stage with a hardener in the original color BOCTELLI BLUE but in a slightlynew paint at rebel OCT 19 2016.emlnew paint at rebel OCT 19 2016.eml satin type finish, not very glossy. I like it and we got it back today and took it out tonight. Here are a few pictures of the new paint, the original paint and the chalky paint. The bottom picture is with the chalky paint. The one with me and my wife in the garage is with the original paint, look careful and you will see the rear fender was different paint and was the reason why I decided to paint the car again in the first place. 

pass side new paint rebel.JPG

frnt drivers side new paint rebel.JPG

38 new paint at rebel.eml

in garage new paint.JPG

IN GARAGE original paint.JPG

FRONT PASSENGER Side.CHALKYJPG.JPG

Edited by LAS VEGAS DAVE
additional description (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Lookin good Dave! 

I had a similar problem with a dent in the RF fender.  I used a paintless dent repair guy to remove the dent, but it took him almost half the day to get it done.  He told me I got a good deal on the job because my car had much thicker material that took a lot more time and effort to fix.

A year later, the rear roll pan sustained significant damage on the way to the BCA National Meet in Colorado.  So, in order to match the original color, I had to have the whole car repainted to match the original Whistler Grey.

38 New Paint 1.JPG

38 New Paint 2.JPG

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mark, you have a beautiful car. I tried the painless dent repair guy but in my case he couldn't fix it (maybe he just didn't want to) because he said the metal was to thick. I love the lines of the 37 and 38 Buicks. Every model is good but my favorite are the sedans. As a teenager the Buick Specials were plentiful and most wanted the Century or Roadmaster because of the big engine. The Specials were cheap, easy to keep running, would haul you and some friends, and looked cool. I cost around 100 bucks for a nice one back then or less for one that ran but not as nice. 

2 hours ago, LAS VEGAS DAVE said:

Mark, you have a beautiful car.  I love the lines of the 37 and 38 Buicks. Every model is good but my favorite are the sedans.

Thanks Dave. 

When I saw my 38 Model 48 (2 door sedan), I loved how the two doors made the hood look even longer. 

I like it much more than the coupes, but I agree that all the 37 & 38 Buicks are great looking cars. 

Dave,

Now that you have the look that you like, you really should take some nice photos with an artistic background and submit them to Joe Suarez for the 36-38 Buick Club 2017 Calendar. Feel free to send them to too for inclusion in an upcoming issue of the Torque Tube II.  I always need good cover photos for the magazine along with a short story about something about your car.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Dave,

Now that you have the look that you like, you really should take some nice photos with an artistic background and submit them to Joe Suarez for the 36-38 Buick Club 2017 Calendar. Feel free to send them to too for inclusion in an upcoming issue of the Torque Tube II.  I always need good cover photos for the magazine along with a short story about something about your car.

I'll try to do that before to much longer. 

On 10/20/2016 at 7:47 PM, LAS VEGAS DAVE said:

Mark, you have many Buicks, any favorite? I notice most are very early. 

Dave,

My 38 is my favorite for running with the later model muscle cars, the 24 is for nickel tours, the 13 is my best all around touring car for HCCA National and regional tours in the Northwest, and my 12 Roadster & the 15 speedster will be my light weight cars for towing longer distances.  My 15 speedster is being groomed to become my entry in "The Race Of The Gentlemen" now being held annually in Pismo Beach CA. Hopefully, it will be ready for next year's race along with my single axle enclosed trailer.  http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/hurricane-harries-hot-rodders-race-gentlemen#ixzz4Np2mQuRg

Hopefully, it will be ready for next year's race along with my single axle enclosed trailer.

But like most collectors, my current overall favorite is the most recent addition; a 1908 Model F Buick that I got earlier this year.  With the help of my good friend Capt. Bob, we fixed several worn out parts of this car that enabled me to participate in it's first KISS one & two cylinder tour.  Although it failed to complete the first two days of the tour, I got lots of help from the one & two cylinder experts on the tour to fix the glitches & complete the tour on the last day. In fact, after tweaking the ignition and carburetor, we literally ran away from the pack.

• Like 2

Mark, I like that you're so involved in the hobby and are actually driving the cars and having fun. I'm into motorcycles more than cars but I like all things mechanical. The wife and I just rode one of our motorcycles 2000 miles round trip visiting friends in Reno and Oregon and Southern California, it was a fun trip. Two weeks ago we were in the area where OK, MO, AR, and Kansas touch, it's real pretty country with lots of trees, rivers, lakes etc. If you live in Las Vegas that kind of country is a real treat.  I've ridden motorcycles there many times but now would like to drive our old Buick around there for a few weeks. Good luck on "THE RACE OF THE GENTLEMAN" we will be hoping it will be another good time for you. Dave