hood lace picture

ken1007

What is the correct hood lace; there are two types?   Either one would be 3/4 inch wide  but which type, flat or channel would be more representative of original?  I've seen it both ways.  Flat hood lace thickness of 1/8 to 1/4 inch; the other is  an oval  "channel" hood lace with thickness of  3/16 to 5/16 inch, each with various widths.  It would appear the 3/6 inch channel hood lace would raise the hood too high above the cowl but maybe it will squash down in time.  Ken, Deltaville, Va    Here is picture; what type came with the 1935 Dictator?  

IMG_1441[1].JPG

Perhaps of no value relative to the '35 Dictator; there are two laces on my unrestored '33 Rockne.  The grill shell lace is 3/8" wide and flat; while the cowl lace is 3/4" and channeled.

PA110363.JPG

PA110368.JPG

PA110369.JPG

PA110373.JPG

Edited by starlightcoupe (see edit history)

Hi Ken.

Here are some images of the hood lacing on my '35 Commander.  I believe the car to be original.  The lacing at he radiator shell is the channel type and I measure it at 1/2 X 1/8.  The lacing at the cowl is the flat type and I measure that at 3/4 X 1/8.   All this lacing is ratty and oil-soaked and squashed.  I can't imagine Studebaker did things differently on different series (Dictator vs Commander) as the cars came down the assembly line.  Hope this helps.  Tom

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, silly me.  Here I am, about an hour after posting the above reply, with a correction.  I finally got smart and looked in the parts manual. There is, indeed, a difference between Dictators and Commanders.  My chassis parts manual for sixes and eights 1934 to 1946 lists part number 1162XT60 as correct for a '35 Dictator, while part number 1162XB58 is correct for Commanders.  All this is on page 157.

The difference is (this is for the anti-squeak at the radiator) that for the Dictator the strip is 60 inches long and is  1/8 inches thick by 1/2 inches wide and the Commander strip is 58 inches long and 1/8 thick by 3/8 inches wide.  The illustration in the manual (page 608 under "standard parts") shows a flat strip---no channel.

I have not yet been able to find the strip that goes across the cowl in any of my manuals yet.  I'll find it eventually and will post when found.  Tom

OK.  I found the cowl strip in the 1929 - 1940 Body Parts Manual on page 7.  It's labeled as a "Shroud protector strip" part number 866X

In the "Standard parts" listing that is an anti-squeak 3/16 thick by 3/4 wide.  54 inches long. Two needed per car. From the illustration I really can't tell if it is flat or channeled.  It looks flat.  Tom

image.jpeg

• 4 years later...