Distributor Cap ID

Curti

I purchased a distributor cap at Hershey as a spare. The fellow I bought it from got it for a Pierce Arrow, but it didn't fit.  He was told it was 31-33 Auburn.

So I bought it from him. It isn't Auburn either . The cap on the right is the one in question. The cap on the left is 31-33 Auburn.  Any ideas ?

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

Clearer pictures might help, especially one top down and one with cap off.  I'm assuming the cap is separate that is, how is it held onto the body?)  The reflection of what I guess is florescent lights overhead adds to the confusion.  The '38-'39 Packard used one that is  somewhat similar looking, with side entry wires and separate cap.

Here are four pix taken sans overhead fluorescent lights. The cap on the left fits a Delco 660z distributor perfectly. Notice the cap on the left has a male key (on top) that fits into a female slot in the distributor body. there is also a raised ridge on the inside of the cap that fits inside the distributor body.  The cap on the right is flat.   Both caps are NOS.

IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG

IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

I believe the only application for the unkeyed mystery cap is for 1937 Packard Super 8 WITH DELCO IGNITION (not Autolite).  Ten or more years ago at Hershey I bought a similar Packard cap in error while looking for one for the Delco 662-J notched/keyed cap for 1933-38 Pierce 8s.  Fortunately, a good friend has a 1937 Super 8 with Delco ignition, and he is enjoying that cap now....  

1930 Pierce Arrow series C only used a cap with the tall spring lugs. It was a one year only small series car cap, so it's possible it will fit a 1930 C if it was purchased from a Pierce Arrow parts supplier.