1956 handbrake

cords

got another curly one ,at some stage my handbrake cable was replaced and is in good condition .rear brakes are adjusted correctly ,but foot peddle is very heavy and if I push to hard it pulls cable out of retainer in car .I think I have it mounted properly but might be wrong .has anyone else had this problem before

Cheers Gavin

I do not know how that lug at the end of the cable is originally installed.  Solder was a good idea but I think a stronger compound needed to be used, like brazing. However, the parking brake pedal in my Super is very easy to move.  Not hard, even with the new springs I installed as part of my recent shoe replacement, which, appear to be a significant gauge, or three, thicker than the original brake return springs I took off.  When you say the brake cable has been replaced, do you mean both cables?  It sounds to me like you have some restriction in the cable that goes wheel to wheel.  Possibly a low point where the cable could have held water and rusted internally?  Otherwise, have the rear drums been removed to check if the cable and associated parking brake hardware are free?  

8 hours ago, cords said:

it actually pulls the cable free of its mount under the dash not the end off the cable

Cheers Gavin 

I'm not looking to be difficult, but I just have trouble envisioning the failure.  Can you post a few pictures of what fails under the dash?

2 hours ago, Beemon said:

It may be mis-adjusted and you're forcing the pedal to the ground when really the parking brake is already engaged. Check the adjustment under the car and see where it tightens up when you push on the lever.

I'm think that Beemon has it.

Or, it could be the cable is binding underneath, making the cable slack on the pedal when it is pushed down

Looking at the 56 manual, on page 9-3 ( 297) the cable run shows 3 sharp turns where the cable could kink.  One in front of each rear tire/rim, the other where the front cable comes off the torque tube, runs inside the X frame and turns to continue forward to where the cable comes up the front floor kickboards.  Those ares may need close inspection for damage to the outer sheath. 

If they all look okay, then I wonder if one, or both, of the rear brake assemblies are missing the strut, which activates the forward shoe when the brake is applied?

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)