1932 Franklin airman 6 squirrel cage removal

Guest Matthous

Guest Matthous

I'm trying to remove the squirrel cage blower on the front of a 32' Franklin inline 6 air cooled.

There is a nut on the crank shaft against a fiber disk brake.  I cannot tell how to remove the nut because there are no threads showing.

The nut is on a hub made for a hand-crank if the engine is to be started with one.  Has anyone on here seen this large 2-3/16" nut and

hub on one of these 4-door Franklins?

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

What did the squirrel do in that cage? I have not seen such a thing.

Or do you really mean something else?

The "squirrel cage" is the large shroud on the front of the Franklin engine. It directs air up over the air-cooled cylinders.

1931 Franklin engine.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Matthous

I think I know the procedure now.  The crank hub for hand crank comes off with a special tool then the nut comes off behind it.  Only question is if it is right hand threads or left hand?

Spinneyhill in case you are not kidding .....  a squirrel cage blower is a type of fan. It is shaped like a drum with fan blades around the periphery. Usually seen as heater blowers or air conditioner blowers in cars, some air cooled cars used them for cooling  notably Franklin.

Image result for squirrel cage fan

with housing. If you owned a home heating furnace you would know what one looked like. They don't have furnaces in Australia do they?

Image result

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Thank you Rusty. So it is a centrifugal fan.

In my defense, we have no native rodents (only introduced ones) and NO squirrels. I have seen on TV rats and guinea pigs in running wheels similar to that.

Oh dear, more jargon. Makes it hard for us unlucky ones in far-off lands.

Oh, Tauranga is in the Bay of Plenty in New Zealand. Australia is about 3 hours to the west in a jet. We rejected union with them in the early 1900s. We do have furnaces but not often for home heating in this part of the world.