1924 tranny and 1926 tranny same?

fsnooks

Yes, they should be.  Both should have third gear selected when the shift lever is toward the front of the car (both should have the early, or "non-standard" shift transmission).

Make sure both of them have either the multi-plate clutch or the single disc clutch, or be prepared to mix-n-match parts.

When production of the DB Model 124 commenced on March 22, 1927, it received both the "new series" engine (a chain drive replaced the old timing gears; oil pump was now inside the crankcase; both manifolds were now on the right side of the engine; relocated water pump, generator and distributor) and the late, or "standard shift" transmission, which selected third gear with the shift lever toward the rear of the car.

Incidentally, the late, or standard shift, transmission was built quite a bit stronger than the original design.

Edited by 22touring (see edit history)

Upon further reading, I note that the late "standard shift" or SAE transmission first appeared in production, in the Type 7 chassis only, on August 28, 1925 (1926 model year).  [IIRC, the Type 7 chassis was the bare chassis that DB sold to Graham Brothers and was the same as the screenside chassis (authentication needed)].  Screenside, panel and Type 1 chassis got the new transmission on March 18, 1926.  The standard shift transmission wasn't installed in all passenger car models until March of 1927, with the production of the model 124.

I obtained this information from the Don Butler article, "Good Enough Is Not Acceptable".

Oops, I made a mistake. Graham Bros. made a 1-ton and a 1-1/2 ton truck. I'll bet the Type 7 chassis was for the 1-ton and 1-1/2 ton GB models. The Screenside and the commercial or panel models used the regular 1/2-ton chassis, I think. Could somebody please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Edited by 22touring (see edit history)

This is a great topic! I just picked up a 1927 "D" engine and transmission and it's a little different than the trans I have with a "C" engine. Because it's a single disc clutch I doubt it will fit a "C".

Hey fsnooks!

It's been a long time since we had correspondence! What engine do you have? I'm not sure if a "B" engine will accept a "C" engine trans. I have always said that 1926-1927 are very confusing because of all the changes. I will keep an eye on this thread. If we need some reference photos let me know.........

Bill

Note the big nut in the second photo.  The wrench socket there was not required as the nut was only done up finger tight!  LOL.:rolleyes:

Various other bolts were missing altogether!  The main shaft bearings are shot but the countershaft assembly seems O.K.

The primary drive sliding gear - that's the one at the front which transmits load via the countershaft to 1st and 2nd gears - has excessive wear on it's sliding surfaces.  I could use a better one if anyone has one spare?  Or perhaps I could build/braze up the worn surfaces and file to fit.?

Sorry for the hi jack.....as you were saying?

Ray. 

P9100067.jpg

P9120070.jpg

Edited by R.White (see edit history)