25 Sedan Muffler

GaryP65

So I've asked this on anther post but no luck so I'll try a new one.

The brackets don't seem to match up with the system I got from Myers.

The 1st bracket lines up with the exhaust pipe. However, the bracket after the muffler does not seem to work with the tailpipe that goes over the differential.

Also unsure about the brackets provided. The large Muffler clamps do not have any holes drilled for bolting. The 'Y' shaped bracket doesn't seem to have a home.

20160925_111109.jpg

20160925_111218-1.jpg

Edited by GaryP65 (see edit history)

The large brackets supplied go around the outside of the muffler and will have to be drilled to match up with the holes in the lower flange of the chassis.  The short leg of the bracket will also need to be drilled for a bolt to tighten it around the muffler.  The Y -shaped bracket attaches to the flange on the front of the rear crossmember (the plate that goes over the petrol tank). You will find two holes there which may or may not still contain rivets.  These will need to be removed to fit the bolts.  The brackets marked in your photo above can be dispensed with.  I any event the front one appears not to be original.  If that bracket is using one of the holes meant for the large muffler brackets you may have to shorten the engine pipe so the muffler can move forward.  I take that you have  a tail pipe to suit.  This should determine the correct placement of the muffler.   

• Like 1

Hi Gary,  these photos of my touring car chassis may help with muffler mounting.  I did have trouble getting the tailpipe in place to match up with the 'Y' bracket.  I ended up putting an extra bend or two in the tail pipe to get things matched up.

P4011018s.jpg

DSCN2854.JPG

DSCN3303s.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome! Thank you both for your help.

However, I do not see any holes for the Y bracket. Looks like I'm drilling.

For the brackets already on the car, I removed the front one. For the rear one, looking closer, it seems that the hole is not the same diameter as the pipe. So I removed that one as well. I mocked the muffler up and it looks like I need to chop about 3 inches off the exhaust pipe. The tail pipe sits perfectly with the bend centered right over the differential. 

The crappy part of this is now I have to remove the gas tank so I can drill and mount the Y bracket.

Compression is good. If I remember correctly, the lowest I have is 47psi....

Timing should be good but it is on my list of things to verify.

First thing I'm looking at is the carburetor. Adjustment screw is all the way lean so I may need to reposition the rocker.

I'm sure their good (but will check) the plugs.

I will say that I don't think my timing advance linkage moves enough. It only seems to move the distributor about 1/2".

Also agree to Craig on the advance.

How about valve adjustment? That's the last thing I want to deal with.

Do you mean reposition the pinion/rack engagement?  If you needed choke to run at all, I'd say yes.  If it's off the other way (way rich), the plugs should show/smell it.  Half inch sounds about right on advance linkage.  It should be pretty obvious if you are getting a lot of lost motion somewhere.  The valves on mine had way larger gaps than they should have.  It still started but I never drove it that way so I'm not sure how much impact on power.  Be vary careful to not set gap too tight or when warmed up the valve may not close completely (a good way to burn valves). 

• Like 1