Radiator for 1929 Pontiac

tartop

A local radiator shop told me they could get the honeycomb core to match my '32 Pontiac.  I don't remember what the cost would be.  However, my 1930 Pontiac has a Breastworks radiator that was installed in 2009 by the previous owner.  Have an invoice for $2,406.53.  Not sure what it would be now.  The car runs very cool.  Normally about 180 degrees.  On the hottest days this summer it was close to 190 but never overheated.  My 2 cents worth.

I would hope for that money you would get a true Honeycomb core.  I had to replace my radiator in 1962 and was very lucky. The radiator shop that did the work for the GM dealer where I worked had a brand new aftermarket radiator for my car.  Not honeycomb though, squares on edge like the one illustration below.  It has given me excellent service for 400,000 miles.  Better than the original. It only lasted 32 years and 99,000 miles.  It's problem was not ever having antifreeze in it and the drain on the radiator was two tubes above the bottom so water stayed in the rad every winter and froze.  My rad in 1962 cost $60.00, sounds real cheap but that was a lot of money out of a wage of $160.00.

201312133_001.jpg

Wire-Spaced-Radiator-Cores1.jpg

Tinindian--Yes they say that it is a true honeycomb. I imagine I will just have to suck it up and pay the man. It's just hard to pay that much when that is probably half the value of the car. But I know items for a vehicle that is 87 years old can get expensive since you cannot just go to the local shop and pick one up off the shelf. But it will be worth it in the long run. I helped my Dad restore this car 40 years ago when I was 14 years old. My dad passed away 13 years ago and my Mom would not let the car go so it just sat in the barn. She has finally passed it on to me. The engine rusted up but I have gotten it free. I am completely rebuilding the engine and anything else that needs done to the drivetrain to get it dependable. The body I am leaving just as my Dad left it. This car has A LOT of sentiment to me so it will be worth it in the end. I know my Dad is smiling that his car is going to be back on the road where it belongs. 

Pontiac.jpg

Tartop

I am sure that you realize that the rads are similar but different for each year.  If you found a used one you would have to measure very carefully.  I have only seen one on ebay in all the years I have been looking for Pontiac parts and it was listed as a 30 but wasn't.  Also a used rad could be far more trouble than the cost of a new one.

Here is a picture of the Brassworks radiator on my '30.  Seems to be a true honeycomb.  I know it is big bucks but it is very nice to drive the car and have overheating (at least due to the radiator) off the table.

Good luck on your decision.

Also, nice looking car.  Cars are so much more endearing when you have family history.  I have the complete history of my '30 back to where it was sold but, unfortunately, it is not my family that purchased it.

IMG_6557.JPG

Further to your new radiator.  Find out and follow BrassWorks directions.  My Grandfather was always topping up the water in the rad on his Pontiac  The first two years that I drove it I topped the antifreeze up (had to use antifreeze as I drove it in Manitoba winters).  When I got my new rad I read the owners manual for the car.  It explained the theory of the cross flow radiator.  (Remember that alcohol was the common antifreeze in 1930). The rad was supposed to be filled just above the petcock at the upper hose.  In the winter the alcohol boiled off, rose to the top empty part of the rad, condensed and ran down the tank on the right to mix with the water.  To me this implied that the lower half of the rad was sufficient to cool the engine.  Since then I have always filled the rad to the top of the inlet hose and then added a quart.  (If you squeeze the upper hose you can hear the coolant bubble in the rad to tell that it's full,  I change my 50/50 mixture every two years (approx. 20/25,000 miles) and have NEVER had to add coolant in between (even accounting for the drop or two seepage that the water pump packing should have).  I have been in every state west of the Mississippi, across Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, through Death Valley in the daytime in July, over Bear Tooth Pass, to Monterrey from San Francisco over the steep way and have NEVER overheated or had to add coolant in 54 years.

I see a number of people out at out weekend gatherings with their late 30's and 40's vehicles and so many of the pull in and there is a great dump of water when the shut their engines off.  Big panic every time.  Then I show them the full mark on the radiator, which is normally where the level is after the boil over.  All of a sudden they discover  that the car didn't have a problem, the driver did.