fuel gauge operation

tdpole1

Can anyone tell me how the fuel gauge on a 1928 Buick works.  I just rebuilt the fuel gauge, filled the reservoir with the red liquid, checked the line running back to the tank and it was open and the gauge does not work.  Does it work by pressure from the tank to make the liquid rise or should the gauge red liquid be to the top of the glass tube and pull down to the fuel level when the fuel pump pulls on the fuel in the tank.  I tried it both ways by changing the level of red liquid in the gauge and neither worked.  Could use some help.  

Thanks,

Tad

Derek, don't get all excited yet.  Mr. Shaw gave you a link to work on one of them four letter word cars.  I think everybody on here knows that a good pair of walking shoes will almost come out ahead of one of those four letter word vehicles.  Trust me, I know what I am talking about - I own one of those four letter word small trucks.  I can't sell it - nobody wants to buy the blasted thing.  My John Deere riding lawn mower has more power than this truck.  That is the most cold-blooded piece of crap that I have ever owned.  When it runs right it gets about 29 mpg on the highway.  But it's still a four letter word piece of junk, and that's another four letter word also.  I'm through with my rant now!

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

Thanks guys for the information.  I guess I will have to take the gas tank apart and get the sending unit out to see if it is working properly.  Then I will have to figure out how much of the red liquid to put in the reservoir so it is calibrated properly.  Right now I have it filled such that the glass tube is full also.  Thought maybe there was a vacuum pulled when the pump started pulling fuel.

Tad  

You are very welcome.  I drove without a gauge for about ten years because I didn't want to put F*** fluid in my telegauge and then I realized it wasn't F*** fluid, it was Sealy fluid purchased from a F*** supplier of vintage parts.  Sure is nicer with a working gauge.

Now that I  have the info on how the gauge works I can start in the tank and work forward.  Maybe by the end of the weekend I'll have a working fuel gauge.  Thanks to all for the info.  I guess I am lucky that my actual gauge is not stopped up and the line back to the tank is clear so I have cut the possible problems down. 

Next I'll be tackling the speedometer.  No cable and the gear drive adapter into the transmission is missing.  The hole where it should have been has had a home made cover plate installed.  Guess I'll first have to start looking for a cable and drive gear adapter.  Good thing is the car runs and drives well so I can continue to enjoy taking the family for rides while I search for parts.

Thanks Guys for the help and good information.

Tad