Horn Bracket needed

GaryP65

1 hour ago, dc-8dave said:

Hello Gary,

Are you serious about there being a book? How long have you been in the old car hobby?

Should I be offended by that question?

Right now I'll choose no.

To answer that, I am serious about a book. Sometime ago I asked about a windshield. Bill posted an original drawing for the glass with sizes. So why wouldn't I think that somewhere out there, someone has what I need?

And to answer your 2nd question, First car in the 20's. Had many 60's & early 70's muscle.

44 minutes ago, cahartley said:

Gary......isn't the vacuum tank also mounted to the horn bracket or is it mounted on the fire wall?

edit: In the event I'm not here when you get back here's the plain horn bracket.

HornBracket.jpg

Well I made a bracket for the one side and I used the vacuum tank bracket for the other.

All wired up and no blaring so I think I got it isolated.

Unfortunately, when I press the button down, nothing.

Not sure what the horn pin is suppose to ground out on but I thought because of that mysterious collar, maybe the pin needed to be longer so I used an awl and nothing.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dc-8dave said:

Hello Gary,

Are you serious about there being a book? How long have you been in the old car hobby? This might be as close as you can get unless you find one or someone will loan you one. Please don't forget to thank people that help you!

Horn #2a.jpg

I always thank the ones that help me.

This is great, thank you!

8 minutes ago, cahartley said:

Inside the collector ring is a small, spring loaded, pin which makes the connection to the collector as the steering wheel turns as I mentioned above.......I think....... :unsure:

I don't remember if it's possible for it to fall out but......... 

I didn't see a spring.

I'll post a photo soon but I don't think I can make the collar disappear since it looks moulded in. Even if I could I'm sure I'd open up a can of worms with the wheel placement, etc....

I'm not a machinist so I don't think I can do it.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2016 at 11:02 PM, cahartley said:

Yeah.......but by now the steering wheel should come off easily.......LOL

You need to make that mystery collar go away........ <_<

I'd like to see a photo of your steering wheel hub.

Here you go. I pulled it off a little so you can see the whole shbang.

As you can see by the scaring, I tried to get the collar of but don't think it does. I had the whole shart out. Even if it did, the threads for the wheel nut would stick put to much.

Also, I'm assuming the spring you are talking about is where the wire comes in?

20160826_204310.jpg

20160826_184001.jpg

That stupid collar thing is bugging me to death....... <_<

The steering wheel hub looks legit so I don't get it.

Unless my memory has taken a vacation there should be a small drill hole in the steering shaft in which there is a spring loaded brass pin which stays in constant contact with the collector ring.

Is that steering shaft hollow at the threaded end for the horn button?

I don't want to remove the steering wheel on mine but if that what's it going to take I will because sumting is rotten the state of Denmark!....... :angry:

As an afterthought I can guarantee you that collar is not part of the steering shaft.

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You're insane. You don't have to remove your wheel!! But I appreciate the thought.

There is a hole in the threaded end of the shaft for the horn button and 'awl'.

There is no hole on the shaft that would indicate that there should be a spring loaded pin.

Does that mean the the collector has metal in the inner ring?

You nailed it Gary.....I am insane....... :blink:

I'm pulling the wheel tomorrow......it isn't THAT big of a deal.

I just DID go out to the shed though to look where the bottom end of the steering shaft engages the coupling.

There is a small portion at that end with a flat milled across it.

Only about a 1/2" of the flat is visible.

I seriously think your steering shaft is too long.

Guest rameses32

I hope I answered you problem under your Claxton Horn thread. I completely understand the frustration one feels when trying to figure this stuff out, I received most of my 24' in boxes full of rust. Just by chance I have been working on my steering column and horn button this week.

I appreciate all the help I'm getting but I'm confused (just in general) about a few things.

1 - your photo looks just like mine so I don't know whats right or wrong.

2 - I don't know the terminology. Which part is the reluctor?

3 - if the collar needs to come off and get tossed, wouldn't that make the wheel sit lower on the shaft making the threads prouder thereby making the nut unable to seat?

4 - let's say all the above gets answered. What so I do about the spring loaded pin?

I know I'm confused about a lot more on this but I'll take this one slow.

Edited by GaryP65 (see edit history)

Guest rameses32

The shaft goes in the tube and connects to the steering gearbox, then the black thing goes on, then your steering wheel, then the nut with the horn button. I have included the picture with the parts laid out in order of assembly, minus the steering wheel, I have also included a photo of the parts loosely assembled to help you get the idea. Your shaft is not too long, the black thing is just in the wrong place. As for the spring clip, you will just have to ask around to see if anyone has an extra one, I have a spare shaft but the clip is missing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

WOW!!

That clears it up tremendously!!

Looks like the collar IS part of the shaft.

Now if I can get my hands on the spring loaded pin, I'll have a horn.

I assembled it, and I think I got it. 

Having trouble uploading photo.

You are awesome, thank you so much!!

Is this site great or what!!