6 volt Tachometer

I've been looking for a 6 volt tach for years, perhaps not hard enough. The closest I had come was a Sun without a sending unit on eBay.  Then last summer at a show I saw a tach in a 1937 Special.  I asked the owner and was referred to Westberg Mfg. Co, in Sonoma, CA   www.westach.com    They have been making tachs for years and make all types of instruments, many for aircraft.  I phoned and bought one but by the time it arrived my 1940 Super was in storage.  I get evicted the first time my wife sees frost on the windshield of her car and off to the barn we go. The cost for tach, light kit and mounting case and shipping was $186.47.

This week was the first time a had a chance to install the tach.  The wiring is simple, coil and ground for the tach, keyed power and ground for the light. I mounted it to the steering column with a clamp, rotated to the right to clear the speedometer.  Miraculously I got it right the first time.  The needle is steady and the face easy to read. My car is mainly a cruiser and not judged, but the tach can be removed in a few minutes if you have a show car.

DSCF1479.JPG

DSCF1481.JPG

DSCF1475.JPG

Edited by Thomas J. Bianculli (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Nice! I had an old 12v tach that I had in my old '66 Ford so I decided it looked retro enough for the Buick. I think it was originally out of a Studebaker, I got it from a flea mkt in about 1973. I got a 10A 6v to 12v boost converter on eBay for abt 10 bucks so I have 12v available in the car. The vac gauge is from the late 1950s.

DSC07582 (Large).JPG

Cheers, Dave

• Like 3

On 8/24/2016 at 10:43 AM, Larry Schramm said:

A friend of mine has a 1926 International Truck and the idle is 400 RPM and the redline is about 1,200 RPM.  :)

A RR club I belong to is restoring a 1940 Brookville Rail Bus that was built for the US Army in 1940 by Brookville Locomotive in Brookville PA.  It is powered by a 4 cylinder Hercules Diesel. It has no tach but sounds like 1200 RPM wide open is about right.

Hi Bob, I don't see why not. It is rated for 8 cylinder, 6 volt, positive or negative ground. I followed the negative ground instructions .

The tach has 2 wires, one goes to ground, the other to the terminal on the coil where the thin wire  goes to the distributor. The light has one wire to the ignition switch  and one for ground. I connected both grounds to one screw under the dash. 

The company is Westberg Mfg. Co.  www.westach.com  They made mine to order, warranty is 12 months from manufacturing date.

• 6 years later...