Wheel code

Chasander

Ok, I am getting ready for new tires and looking at existing rims. I measured down from edge, in the same spot on each rim, and they vary as much as 1/4 inch on each.

maybe this is within tolerances. I am pretty sure the spare is 6x15. but trying to make sure what the others are.

I copied and pasted this from a similar thread.  Good advice.

Long story short, the codes are helpful but there is no substitute for pics and the use of a tape measure in order to determine the rim characteristics.

Tom

Ed

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:39 AM, RivNut said:

The measurement I am showing varies as much as a 1/4 inch on the 5 rims. were the tolerances this sloppy? all rims have the Riviera slot

Wheel 2.JPG

Wheel 1.JPG

As Tom states, the only accurate way to measure a wheel is with the tire dismounted.  Here's a diagram of where to take those measurements.  When we're discussing 5-1/2" or 6" rims, make sure that you take the rim width measurement inside the beads as shown.  DO NOT use the "overall rim width"!!!!!

The pictures that you're showing have no reference to any kind of wheel measurement.  You need to flip the tire/wheel over and measure the backspacing as shown on the attached.  You need to know the rim width (inside the bead,) the wheel diameter, and the back spacing.  Depending on the year of your car (63 and 64 OR 65 and later,) you should also measure the diameter of the center hole.  Dismount those tires, they're too old to be safe anyway, and measure them using this chart.  Pay no attention to the red stuff, that's tire stuff, not wheel stuff.  

IMHO, if you think that there's a 1/4" discrepancy in the wheels you have, I'm guessing that you have two different sized wheels.  I think that you're comparing a 5-1/2" wheel to a 6 inch wheel.  

Ed

WheelsFAQ-diagram.gif

I believe Ed is correct in saying you have some 5 1/2 inch rims and some 6 inch rims. When I got my car I was trying to buy 6 inch steel wheels for it. I had a guy who had some wheels on cars in his junk yard but, did not want to have to go out into the yard, remove a wheel, take off the tire just to check what width it was and have it be the wrong width. I had one of each and the outside diameter was different by 1/4". He used that to determine if the wheel was 5 1/2" or 6 inch before removing it from the car. That worked for him so that he could select the size I was wanting. 

You can see the dilemma I'm in. I thinking about using Hankook 225 75 tires. I have to order them (Discount tire $50.00 deposit) So they break tires down only to discover I do not have matched set of rims.  No way they are going to reinstall these 20 year old bias tires while I try to find rims to match. Pretty sure the spare is a 6" but the other may be mixed. May being key word.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-Optimo-H724-Tire-P225-75R15/17792285

What difference does it make if they don't reinstall the 20 year old tires, you're not driving on them are you?  I surely hope not.  A blow out on one of these will cost you a lot more than paying to dismount and mount a couple of tires.

Doesn't matter which width they are ( 5.5 or 6) as long as all four are the same, right?  Stick a paint stir stick through one of the slots on the wheel.  Measure down from each side of the wheel lip and mark the paint stir stick. You can tell if all four are the same size.  

I was hoping for a way to determine rim width while they were still on the car. I was going with the 225,  but if they are 5.5 in I will have to use the 215.

thanks. Discount tire runs about $5 cheaper than Walmart.