Brakes on 26 dodge sedan

Mpgp1999

Hello 

while at the DB national meet my brakes went out on a steep hill the right brake got flooded with gear oil from the transmission and the other one caught on "fire" tried adjusting them that worked only for an hour and now back to no service brakes I took off the grease soaked one and scrubed it with a wire brush and gasoline. The brake pedal goes to the floor with no resistance. When adjusting I was able to get them to work but I could not drive as the wheel would not spin at rest(not pushing the pedal) what should I do next?

Yeah! I'm famous now!

Mathew, I don't know what you did to adjust them but what I had to do is start from scratch. In the mechanics manual it has the procedure listed. Start in the NOTES section. Hopefully you have one. If not I can take some shots of the page. Or since I visit my mom in Warwick, NY, I can swing by to Westchester and check it out if you don't have any luck.

I removed the cotter pin from the rod from the pedal and moved the equalizer (the bracket above the differential) until it was about a 1/4" from the housing. At that point you should have freewheeling. Then adjust as outlined in the manual, reconnect the pin at the pedal (with the pedal in the up position of course).

Since I have yet to do a serious run and only up and down my driveway, I think I got them where they should be. My driveway is on a very slight incline, (or decline) barely noticeably but with the clutch pressed and the brakes off, it rolls and both brakes stop it. Good sign. I'm sure after a real run I will need to adjust.

Edited by GaryP65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GaryP65 said:

Yeah! I'm famous now!

Mathew, I don't know what you did to adjust them but what I had to do is start from scratch. In the mechanics manual it has the procedure listed. Start in the NOTES section. Hopefully you have one. If not I can take some shots of the page. Or since I visit my mom in Warwick, NY, I can swing by to Westchester and check it out if you don't have any luck.

I removed the cotter pin from the rod from the pedal and moved the equalizer (the bracket above the differential) until it was about a 1/4" from the housing. At that point you should have freewheeling. Then adjust as outlined in the manual, reconnect the pin at the pedal (with the pedal in the up position of course).

Since I have yet to do a serious run and only up and down my driveway, I think I got them where they should be. My driveway is on a very slight incline, (or decline) barely noticeably but with the clutch pressed and the brakes off, it rolls and both brakes stop it. Good sign. I'm sure after a real run I will need to adjust.

What mechanics manual 

all I have is crank and hope it's a general DB & GB manual 

• 2 months later...

What did you re-line them with?  I don't see the rivet heads; how are they attached?  It may be necessary to re-shape them to more circular by careful bending.  I think it's better to do that before re-lining them but you may be able to tweak them.  It is tricky to get a uniform gap all of the way around.