Pull engine on 2nd-gen with hood on?

RoadShark

I'm getting ready to pull the cracked manifolds off my '67 and put the shorty headers on.  After looking at the rusted bolts (and the likelihood that I'll have some broken ones to deal with), I'm leaning towards pulling the engine.  Can I pull the engine with the hood on?

I've read that one of the bolts is really tricky to install with the engine in the chassis too.

Planning on replacing the steering box and pump at the same time.

Probably pull the heater box too since I think there's a mouse nest...

Hood OFF - gives you wide open access to the engine compartment. Mark the hood hinge positions to line it up on assembly.

Place a couple of 2x4s at the rear to protect the windshield, and have a second helper to lift it off the car - they are awkward to handle and heavy. You might want to consider pulling the engine with the transmission attached as a unit - that way you have total access to everything for a complete dress up !

The long centre bolts on the manifolds are lower than the A frames so there is no clearance without raising, or removing the engine.

Hope you have a heat source (torches) for the manifold bolt removal process, as they can be a royal 'PITA' !!

It's the type of job I have procrastinated on for about 3 years now, but I did get some replacement stock manifolds.

. . . good luck, and keep us posted Bill.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

I think it can probably be done with some fanangling but as other have said its best to remove hood. Yes pull the HVAC box. Look what I found in a 67 Eldorado box which is essentially the same design box!

Replace the front seal in the transmission while engine is out and I hate to say it but that would also be a good time to do a complete regasketing on engine. Insure you have the replacement exhaust manifold mating surfaces trued and smooth so you get a good seal without using gaskets. Either have a shop do it or you can use a flat file and finish it by block sanding. The mating surface on heads may need attention as well especially if its been leaking for awhile.

Nest.JPG

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)