Another BB 1 question

old buicks

I have a Carter BB 1   model #245SA  that I have on a 1910 Buick model F.  Carb was cleaned in cleaner after complete disassembled, then reassembled and new gasket.    Problem is,  when going down the road it pops every so often like it isn't burning the gas in the cylinder.   I've adjusted the main needle down to almost a kill and then back up to too much fuel.  Tried to settle somewhere in the middle but it still pops.   What do I do next?

Old Buicks,

I have the same carb on my Model F Buick.  A good mechanic friend kneeled on the running board and adjusted my carb while I drove uphill on our first one & two cylinder tour last weekend.  It took some tinkering under load to get it pulling better.  You might also check the lowest point on the intake manifold to make sure the 1/16 drain hole is not plugged.  Many don't know about that important hole that drains excess fuel.

Carter BB1 Carburetor Instructions and Parts List.pdf

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Check your float level , on these carbs to low a float level will give lean running at all speeds, level is 1/16 to 1/32 below the machined surface of the lower body to the  cylinder body of the float with the needle closed. Turn the lower body up side down an place a straight edge across the machined edge to get a good reading. bob 

Mark,  the intake V hole is open because it drips fuel from there  when I shut off the engine.   I will try to get my wife to ride the running board and adjust the fuel while I drive it today.  

Robert,  that is a good idea because I noticed that someone added a bit of solder to the float when I had it apart.   I filed down the most of it  but a little solder could certainly throw the float way out of adjustment. 

Will keep everyone posted.   Thanks for the ideas.