speedo works backwards

edhd58

I installed a speedo cable for the first time since owning the car. its a 42 ford fordor with a 47 rear end. the speedo shows forward speed in reverse and bottoms out in forward gears.

If i reverse the turtle i have to drill a hole in the frame.

will reversing the turtle make the speedo work properly??

57 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

I never Tried working in a backward Speedo. Probably end up walking funny. ;) Glad you got it solved.:) Dandy Dave! 

LMAO!

I'm also a bit confused what with the reference to a "bottoms out" Speedo and "flipping the turtle".  Is this some kind of code?:D

Seriously, though, edhd58, I'm not sure what the "turtle" is.  Is it at the speedometer end or the transmission end of the speedometer cable?  Do you have a photograph?

Puzzled, I am,

Grog

Thanks, Ed.

That thing sho' 'nuff looks like a turtle to me.  It also looks like "flipping" that thing could cause routing problems with the speedo-meter cable.  Is that why you thought you might have to drill a hole in the frame?

Thanks for the photo,

Grog

Grog, yep when you turn it 180 degrees it looks like the cable wont clear the frame. it does but only because it lays on the frame  and between the floor. NOW, this is not the same route the 42 tube had, but thats life. The turtle was on the side of the tube not the top. Had i thought about it I would have swapped torque tubes when I swapped rear ends. 

"Bottoms out Speedo." Yup. That's when there old and shot and the elastic is stretched out and they don't hold things in like they use to. Makes the young ladies smile, and the old ones pissed off. Ain't figured that out yet??? Flipping turtles is what us red necks do for fun. We wait fur a few snappers to come along and then we see how fur we can flip em out in a pond holding them by the tail and spinning around. Sort of like throwing a discus only more dangerous. If they swim back we figure they must have liked it and we do it again... The winner gets the first big swig out of a jug of the best moonshine we got available. second in line get's the next swig..N down the line.. Hic.... :P 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)