Remove Oil Pan 1947 Lincoln Continental V12 ??

CatBird

1947 Lincoln Continental V12 Need to remove oil pan. Dropped wishbone rubber ball. Removed starter. Bolts from oil pan. Dropped exhaust from manifolds . Pushed wishbone down as much as safe. Stuck here. Oil pan is loose. 

What next should i do?

Best place to buy oil pan gasket set? I can get an entire engine set for $107 at RockAuto

Edited by Bill Caddyshack (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, 38ShortopConv. said:

Use a scissor jack to lower wishbone, remove steering arm one end, jiggle and twist pan, turn crank to clear rear interference, its tricky, be aware of oil level float. Raise front of car. Play safe.

Will try later today. Thank you, Bill

Got it loose, but a good friend worked on it. I have never heard such cursing from this guy. Would make a sailor blush and this is not him <grin>.

I hurt my back trying to start a Model T and could not help. 

Thanks for the help. Whew!

23 minutes ago, 38ShortopConv. said:

Great Caddyshack, well that's the easy bit, now to get it back up. 

Want to be sure it is correct so we don't EVER have to do this again! Know about pulling the oil float up. Want to be sure to get the right gaskets and everything in place. Thinking about inspecting the main bearings, maybe with plastigauge.

Thanks. We will move the crank further. We should have done this before we removed the starter. We do have a tool that grips with the teeth in the flywheel, There is no nut on the harmonic balancer, as on other cars, like GM, and we need to move the engine with the flywheel.

• 3 weeks later...

We got the reinstall done on the oil pan. It was very difficult. Put in 5 quarts of oil, replaced the filter. The oil float stays at the bottom level, the indicator. Did some research and found some people suggested another quart when changing filter, but the float level does not float <grin> Thought that the float was filled with oil, but since the pan was removed for a couple of days and no oil leaked from the float. It also felt light enough when hand lifted from underneath while the pan was still off.

The indicator rod moves freely. We had pulled the float indicator up with as the pan was replaced so it would not get caught or bent. Was worried about overfilling oil. No leaks from reinstall. 

Any ideas about the float?

Also appears we have an high volume pump. See picture.

error uploading pic,  

"There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200"

Tried at different sizes 89kb tom 184kb

Edited by Bill Caddyshack (see edit history)

The pump looks to be a stock pump . The engine in my '48LC had a high volume  installed when the engine was rebuilt ( previous owner) and the pump had to be rotated , new mounting hole drilled and tapped. They did not reinstall  the "float cage " that the float rides in. The float was destroyed in the 1st 30 seconds  of

start up. Make sure the float is not hung up somewhere in the pan.

3 hours ago, abelincoln said:

Mine takes 6 quarts, but seems like you should have some pressure.  The hot tip seems to be use a Melling M-15 high volume pump.  Takes a different pick-up tube and screen from Mac's or others.

Abe

The passenger head is about 20 degrees hotter than the driver side. P side at about 220degrees and driver side at 200degrees.. IR Thermometer. Dash needle at pegged TEMP. Radiator cap at 4lbs. Oil was at about 30 cold idle and down to zero at hot idle. No oil pressure up at revs from idle. Upper radiator hoses have individual thermostats.

Could hotter on one side be a timing issue? Seems obvious that two six cylinder separate  engines joined at the common crank. Checking thermostats in hoses might be sticking on one side?  What other reasons one side hotter?  

One of associates at Boos thought my pump is HV. We do put it back in. Can anyone give me a best answer from my picture above? Should I buy a Melling M-15? I should have a V12 Engine Manual today. I had two misfires and was sent two manuals that were about fuel pumps only.