Questions about this Buick I might buy

Guest Jaxon88

Guest Jaxon88

I found this Buick Riviera 1967, I was wondering if they ever came with a 455, I looked it up and it would appear that they never came with a 455. But the guy says it came stock with it which is what's in it currently. Sorry I'm a newbie when it comes the engines and such, could he just have put a 455 like top cover on the stock engine? Also if any of you have a picture of the stock wheels that came on the 1967 that would be great! Thanks again guys sorry if I posted in the wrong area! :)

Guest Jilla 66 rivi GS

430 & 455s are visually identical, only difference is in bore, to answer your question as to if he could put a 455 air cleaner on...sure he could. Why though? To determine the true identity wouldn't take much...just a few numbers. Do you have any pictures of the car? 

Guest Jilla 66 rivi GS

Their were multiple wheel options I do believe, traditional buick motor divison rims, spokes with a gnarly blade thingy on the end, just to name a few. Who cares what engine it has, as long as its a buick engine and you're getting into it a good price! In all aspects honestly... the 455 is a superior engine, but the 430 wasn't a slouch by any means. I had a 430 in my 69 Wildcat and that big girl would tear the pavement up!!!

3 hours ago, Jilla 66 rivi GS said:

430 & 455s are visually identical, only difference is the bore. 

. . . not quite, if you know your Buick engines.

The size is cast at the rear of the intake manifold, if your '67 says 455, it's a transplant, and not original to the car.

Guest Jilla 66 rivi GS
42 minutes ago, 68RIVGS said:

. . . not quite, if you know your Buick engines.

The size is cast at the rear of the intake manifold, if your '67 says 455, it's a transplant, and not original to the car.

Thanks for pointing out where he can locate the engine size. I was speaking from a visual perspective, outside of, the oil fill being on the front vs rear of the valve cover and a slight difference in factory valve cover shape, they would be hard to tell apart without visually seeing numbers or decals on the engine. Other then that, JZRIV said it all. 

JZRIV  is right.  430 and 455 parts will interchange except for pistons (larger bore on the 455) There may be year to year differences but nothing that major.   www.teambuick.come has a page on stamped number berserk and some casting differences if you want to to dig really deeply. 

I have a 67 with what I believe to be the original 430 in it.  Last year I had the motor rebuilt.  My mechanic asked me if I wanted them to bore it out to 455 while they were working on it,  apparently it wouldn't cost me any extra.  I declined and told him I wanted it kept as close to original so they did the typical 0.003 reaming in the cylinders.  The car has all the power I ever need for driving and the fuel foes through it fast enough.  

Motor1.jpg