1960 Buick Invicta Custom

Guest Conner

Guest Conner

Hello, I'm interested in buying a 1960 Buick Invicta Custom to restore. Does anybody know what the vin code is for the custom? I would like to make sure it is an authentic car. Also, how rare are these cars and how many are left? I found one. I have attached a picture below. Any other information about this car or where I could find parts/info would be great! Thanks

image.jpeg

Edited by Conner (see edit history)

Conner,  That looks like a nice car.  According to the standard catalog of Buicks, 3rd edition by John Gunnell, there was only one series of Invictas.  The model number for the 2 dr hardtop is 4637. If you look at the vin id attached to the drivers side door jamb, the vin Id should start with 4G and the next symbol ( number) would be a 6 for an Invicta. If it is a 4 then that's a LeSabre.

There is no Custom designation however according to the catalog there was a seat option of all Cordaveen ( vinyl) as opposed to a cloth/cordaveen combination which was standard. The Invicta should have a front fender insignia and would have the 401 engine, which may be identified by the number 445 on top of the aircleaner.

How long has that car been sitting on the ground?  Even though the top side looks solid, you may want to check that frame thoroughly before making this purchase.

Guest Conner

JohnD1956, the car has been sitting for some time. The engine and transmission where refurbished about 20 years ago:huh:. The car is really solid. Although I have not been able to get underneath the car, I did check the wheel wells. The wheel wells only have some surface rust. I am not sure what to expect underneath. I guess the only thing I can do is expect the worst. Everything in the interior needs to be replaced. Not sure what to do for the bucket seats... Buy them somewhere? Have somebody make them?

I forgot the most important part, there were 8,900 of this 2 dr model made.  It has bucket seats? That's a nice option.  Power windows too?

I don't think you will readily find bucket seats for sale for this car. At least not ones that match the interior.  Chances are you'd have to have the seats re-upholstered from scratch.  Materials are generally available, although if you can determine the pattern you can probably find new materials that match or or a close enough match to the original.

If it's been sitting for 5 or more years in this spot, seats are liable to be the least of your concerns. Sitting on dirt is the worst case scenario for an older car.  Even if the metal is in one piece now, the moisture from the dirt has been attacking it for as long as it's been there. It is unlikely that the floorboards will hold up to the daily assault. Unless it is a southwestern car in the desert, but even then, it's a bad way to store a vehicle.

I wish you good luck.  It is a beauty!

For 1960, the serial number or VIN uses the following format:

SYPxxxxxx

S = series digit (Invicta is series 4600 so this would be a 6)
Y = model year (A=1954, so G=1960)
P = plant code (a number indicating which plant the car was built at), should be 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 8
xxxxxx = a sequential number, starting at 001001 for each plant.

So the VIN for a 1960 Invicta should start with 6G, not 4G which would indicate a LeSabre (series 4400).  If the Invicta was ordered with one of the custom bucket seat trims, it received an exterior badge stating Invicta Custom on the front fenders.

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Guest shorttimer

The bucket seat Invicta Custom coupes will have a three-digit trim code that ends in "6" on the firewall data plate (located on the firewall, above the master cylinder).

The '60 coupes are really cool cars, even without the bucket seat interior.  If the original metal-back bucket seats are missing, they are typically very expensive to replace.  And not very comfortable if you are over 6' tall.  A bench seat should be much easier to source.  

It would be great to see that car pulled out of the weeds and put back on the road.  The smile it puts on your face with a bench seat interior will be just as broad as the one you will have with bucket seats.

Good luck with the car and please let the group know if there is any way we can help.

Edited by shorttimer
Typo (see edit history)