Wanted: 1937 President transmission w/o OD (or 1936)-FOUND!

I've been working with Jerry Kurtz on getting the right transmission for my replica Indy car which uses a 1937 President engine.  I put in a '37 box with OD, but the OD case is so wide, there is no room for my legs and feet to work pedals.  So, does anyone have a 1937 transmission without overdrive?  We could arrange an exchange for the OD box.  Studebaker, in their infinite wisdom, seems to have changed the transmission and bell housing every year, including three different overdrive units for 1937, so I'm not sure if a transmission from any other year would fit.  Maybe 1936 would be OK.  If you have one and are coming to Warwick, please bring it.

EDIT:  I checked the parts book carefully and it looks like 1936 President transmissions without overdrive will also work.

EDIT: I found a 1936 transmission Aug. 25, 2016

no_room_for feet.jpg

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Bump.  Still looking for 3-speed transmission without overdrive from 1937 Studebaker President.  Transmission from 1936 would also work.  Transmissions from Dictators, Commanders, J5 coupe express don't fit, unfortunately.  Any leads appreciated. 

transmission-2C-3C.jpg

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Rex, the Coupe Express is Dictator-based, different transmission.  But, please look at what you have.

George Rohrbach told me yesterday that the 1940-42 Comanders (6 cyl) and Presidents (8 cyl) use the same bell housing (p/n 197805).  It's supposed to have many holes in it to mate with either block and several transmissions.  That would open up the transmission options IF the 1940-42 bell housing would fit on my 1937 President block.  Anyone know the answer to that?

I've spoken to Jim Mann a few times about the car he built for a customer - and I supplied the intake manifolds for the car.  I guess I'd better call Jim and ask how the mate-up of the bell housing and transmission went.  But, will the '41 bell housing fit my '37 engine?

Thanks for the photos, Rex.  You did send some of those to me before. 

11 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

I've spoken to Jim Mann a few times about the car he built for a customer - and I supplied the intake manifolds for the car.  I guess I'd better call Jim and ask how the mate-up of the bell housing and transmission went.  But, will the '41 bell housing fit my '37 engine?

Thanks for the photos, Rex.  You did send some of those to me before. 

Should fit.

Fortunately, after contacting a number of owners of 1936 and 1937 Presidents, my dreams have been answered.  A 3-speed transmission without overdrive from a 1936 President has been offered.  I'll pick it up in Hershey in a few weeks.  Thanks for all of your help!

However, I'm still going to try to find out if the 1940-42 bell housings will fit the older engines.  I won't be the last person to need to know this stuff.