'58 Roof Rail Weatherstrip

highcking

Trying to finish my 1958 Roadmaster in time for the July show. I installed the roof rail weatherstrip the other day and it looked fine ... until I closed the rear doors and found that both doors are not set properly on the hinges. This causes the full windows to dig into the weatherstrip at the front edge and the vent window assemblies to squeeze the weatherstrip out of position.

Solution seems to be re-setting these doors. The Body Manual warns about the weatherstripping so Buick knew about the problem. But I recall this adjustment procedure as a nightmare from a 1959 Fleetwood I owned years back. My memory was correct. There are two sets of three bolts at the top hinge and two at the bottom hinge, and in the Roadmaster one lower bolt on each door is covered by the door skin! The Buick shop manual helpfully suggests using a 90 degree screwdriver. These Phillips-head bolts take a ton of torque to turn without stripping. In short, the suggestion is ridiculous. The Buick mechanics must have had a bitter laugh over that one.

In any event, after many hours of struggle I've managed to improve the situation somewhat on the left rear, and not at all on the right. Loosening that 12th bolt on each side seems all but impossible without taking the whole door off. (Reluctant to do this as I work alone and only have so many hands.)

Anyone else faced this problem? I wouldn't care much about a slight misalignment of the rear doors ... but I can't buy into wrecking fresh weatherstrip.

Just for details, where is this drill cloth supposed to be located on the windows? and is it supported by any rubber materials underneath? I am trying to get a mental picture of this to make sure that when I get my Estate Wagon back together, I can put the material in the right spot. Any info Dan would be very helpful.

The six inch long piece is bonded to the roof rail with about 3 inches fore and 3 inches aft the point of the rear door window frame.  Photo shows the loose drill cloth not bonded to the roof rail weather strip.. Oh, by the way the vertical weather strip mounted in the leading edge of the back window when up is supposed to be fully covered.  I have not seen a two door where either piece was covered.  The Convertible roof rail strips were fully covered.  It would require special tooling to do this to the convertibles.  I have never seen this detail on any restorations including mine.

Dan

Drill Cloth Roof Rail.jpg

Edited by Caballero2
Added Photo (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Ttotired said:

I just had a look at mine, the cloth covers the full length of the top rubber and also the one between the front and rear windows

I personally feel that is the way all of them should have been, '57s as well as '58s.

Dan