Fluid Type for Diff & Trans 8-98???

If there is brass or bronze in there, be careful with EP additives. There are a few that don't attack brass or bronze. You need to read the MSDA to find out.

You need to check the copper strip corrosion test (ASTM D130). If the result is 1a, it is a good additive for your yellow metal. 1b to 4c is not good enough.

You would get far greater exposure for this question if you put it in the Technical forum, with information about the type of gearbox and diff.

I don't know anything about your vehicle or how long you have had it nor what you know about what oils are in there and how long they have been there. If I were in that situation, I would not "top off" the oils but drain and refill.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

On 6/22/2016 at 7:06 AM, Curti said:

Curt, your transmission was made br Detroit gear and machine & LGS free wheel unit.  Go to NAPA and buy 80-90 gear lube.  

Thanks! Is the same lube good for the rear end?

I used to use the Sta-Lube SAE 85W90 SL24239 API/GL-4 Multi-Purpose Hypoid Gear Oil  from NAPA for my old British cars that had brass and bronze bits. I understand only GL4 is safe for those and figured it would be good for these.