Original Purolator Oil filter options.

Guest Launchpad

Guest Launchpad

Newbie question. My '28 Franklin has the original Puralator oil canister on the firewall. What is the best recommendation for an oil filter system? Can the Puralator be cleaned thoroughly and  continued as the filter system or should I replace with another option?

I have had the car for three weeks now and have yet to start it. I want to be certain I used the recommended oil, filter and any prelubrication suggested. Going through the original service manual I see soaking the valve pads every 500 miles. 

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Launchpad

The lack of response makes me think not many have the same issue as I or it was a dumb question.  In case it is not a dumb question I thought I would share what I learned at the Franklin gathering yesterday. Just in case someone else comes across this with the same situation.

A seasoned Franklin owner took the time to raise his cowl and explain it to me. He cut the old oil filter canister just below the top and right where the cut is hidden behind the bracket. He removed the filter material and plumbed in an adaptor which can be purchased on EBay. This adaptor allows a typical automotive screw on oil filter to be connected. All of this is hidden inside the original canister to keep the appearance of originality. He mentioned he has seen it done similar by cutting the bottom of the canister and plumbing the adapter even lower. Again, hiding the modification inside the original canister.

One step closer to getting Ole Red fired up. A big thanks to the gentleman who took time to share this with me.... Thank you Bill Eby

• 1 year later...

You may want to look into vintage Chevrolet options - I believe some styles reproduced and can be found on  "The filling Station."   And, no they really do not clean successfully - lots of horror stories via those who have tried. If you have the can you can try to make some sort of adapter inside for an industrial oil filter. And, several other people have reproduced similar filters over time - keep asking around. By the way:  not really sure you need a filter on it for anything other than authenticity other than it is positive crankcase ventillation and you do stand some change of dirt getting in oil as a result - the heat of a Franklin engine will trash out your oil pretty early upon installation , so you generally always have pretty new oil in the car as you view it more of an airplane with X hours of service between oil changes (or at least I always did).