37 SPECIAL, STARTING PROCEDURE

Guest jg_105

Guest jg_105

Hey, just wondering if anyone can help me with the starting procedure on a 1937 special

I bought it in Februsry,  had been sitting for about 15 years -  and previous owner cant remeber

I have done some web searches,  but most of them show a throttle pedal start -  which this one does not apear to have.   It does have a push button on the dash that cranks over the motor.

I have the key,  the ignition turns,  but there is a lever beside it -  does that need to be in a certain position?

Thanks

I would suggest that you turn the key to the right  to unlock the ignition, flip the lever switch up to turn the igniton "on" and unlock the steering wheel, pump the accelerator once, and push the starter button. 

Originally you would have pressed the accelerator down half way to engage the starter, so you could hold the accelerator down half way, but in my experience with modern fuel, pumping the accelerator once works find with my 1937 Century. 

On a related note, if you would like to join the 36-38 Buick Club, you can download an application here: http://www.3638buickclub.org/membership.html . 

If it's like my 2 1939's I've had, previous owners created their own ways to start them, none of which were the way Buick intended.  Good to hear you have the motor cranking.  Watch the linkage under the hood to see what the lever is actually doing.  Iy may or may not actually be doing anything useful.  Silly question, but you do have fresh fuel in it, correct?

I agree with MCHinson and add that my 38 Special has an electric "booster pump" to prime the carb. prior to starting and to eliminate vapor lock on hot days.  These straight 8 engines tend to boil out the fuel when they shut down and take a long time cranking to refill the float bowl.  I turn on my electric booster pump for a minute before starting to make sure there is fuel in the carb.

5 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

I turn on my electric booster pump for a minute before starting to make sure there is fuel in the carb.

My car is also equipped with an electric pump that I use exactly the same way if my car has been sitting for over a day.  As long as it has not been sitting over 24 hours, I find that I don't need use the auxiliary electric pump.