15 x 6 steel wheel 1955 or earlier wanted

billbuickgs

Depending on what year car you're putting them on, you need to be aware if you're using lug nuts or lug bolts.  If you're using lug bolts, the wheels you want need to have the small hole in the bump between the lug bolt holes so the locating pin on the brake drum has a hole into which it will fit.

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Depending on what year car you're putting them on, you need to be aware if you're using lug nuts or lug bolts.  If you're using lug bolts, the wheels you want need to have the small hole in the bump between the lug bolt holes so the locating pin on the brake drum has a hole into which it will fit.

Ed,

The wheels will go on a 1955 Special Clone to a Century ( model 68 ). The centers are the same from 46 (maybe 42 big series)

to 1955 ( some 56's) with the guide pin hole, 5 slots and a small round hole next to the slots. The big difference is 5 1/2 " width and 6" width.

Thanks

Bill

I once had a spare for my '63 Riviera that was on one of these early wheels.  Had to use it once and it mounted up fine.  In '63 and '64, the stock steel wheel was just like the earlier wheels sans the hole for the locating pin.  In '63 and '64, the Riviera had an optional "bolt on" cast aluminum wheel cover.  The slots for the retaining clips for the dog dish caps were used for the studs on the bolt on cover.  I've actually knocked out the retaining clips on some older wheels in order to use them on the Rivieras - didn't need to but then they all looked the same.  The tire size you chose in '63 and '64, determined how wide the wheel would be.  The standard 7.10 x 15 tire came on a 5.5" wheel and the optional 7.60 x 15 tire came on a 6" wheel.  You'd think that would have been the end of it, but the 5.5" and 6" wheels required different length studs on the cast wheel cover.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...