1930s Henney Hubcap – ID needed

Ric Dean

1930s Henney Hubcap  – ID

Henney Hubcap Identification needed, the outside dia is 8 1/4'' the inside diameter for the wire wheel is 7 5/8’’. I haven’t been able to find any photos pertaining or incudeing this cap, would like to find what year and model it is for.

In 1930 John W Henney Jr built Custom Body’s on numerous Manufacturers Chassis; this following info is  from numerous websites pertaining to 1930s and up -  Velie/ Buick/ Auburn (using Lycoming motors), Pierce Arrow/ Reo, Pontiac economy model, Oldsmobile Progress Model (good), Cadillac/ LaSalle, Rolls Royce, Lincoln, Cord & Cord L-29 and others inc chassis specified by the customer, others- concept cars/ 7 pass sedans / funeral coaches / Packard - White House Limos, A magnificent convertible sedan was built for his friend Errett Lobban Cord, powered by a Lycoming 8cly on a Henney's 137-1/2-inch wheelbase chassis, only four examples were built.

This Cap has been a wall-hanger for decades, not getting it ready for evil-bay.

Thank you, Ric

Henney 1930s built body 600p .jpg

Henney Hubcap 1930s e600p .jpg

• Like 1

... I just found these online photos of a 1931 Henney Roadster, the hubcap looks the same other than the emblem could be chrome plated.

There were no details attached to the photo; anybody have any ideas or particulars?

Thanks, Ric

Henney 1931 Roadster Hubcap & Wheel 600p .jpg

Henney 1931 Roadster Hemimings 600p .jpg

Henney seemed to not vary their hubcap style very much over the years. I can not find any info on ones designed like yours. Not even military or their Kilowatt electric car. I feel the the emblem was added at some point to your hubcap. If it is Henney, I think it would be very early by the way the emblem is attached.

Hi  Fleek

I’m posting a photo of a 1921 Henney screw-on Hubcap; will agree that the Henney Cap Emblem was used for many years.   

It could be a generic hubcap but the Emblem was not added later because the Blind Rivets don’t go through the other metal cap layers and the cap is perfectly indented around the emblem.

Thank you, Ric

Henney Hubcap 1921-1925 c .jpg

... I found another online photo of a Henney Roadster this one is a 1932 again the hubcap looks the same other than the emblem could be chrome plated; take a look.

There were no details attached to the photo; anybody have any ideas or particulars?

Thanks, Ric

1932 Henney Roadster 700p .jpg

... I’m still on the quest of identifying year and model application of my Henney Hubcap; need close-up photos of other Henney Wheels and Hubcaps.

I just found another online photo of a Henney Roadster this one is Black with red pin-striping 1931, but the hubcap on it looks to be way different than the other Henney Roadster photos I submitted; of course this Roadster sports chromed wire wheels and the Hubcap Red Emblem looks to match the Grille Emblem;  please take a look.

Thanks, Ric

Henney 1931 Grille Emblem crop500p .jpg

Henney 1931 Roadstr Blk red stripe Chrome Wire Wheel 600p .png

Henney 1931 Roadstr Blk red stripe Chrome Wires crop 600p .png

• 2 years later...

Hi Ric, very interesting item and I wish I had an answer for you. 

Suggestion:
Have you tried digital libraries ? This is one I've had very good success with lately.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/ls?field1=ocr;q1=henney;a=srchls;lmt=ft&facet=topicStr:"Automobiles"

Simply type in the word "Henney" and check the box "Full view only" just below the magnifying glass. Also make sure you have "Automobiles" or something similar selected on the far left under Refine Results subject matter... 

It's a  lot to look through on that website but it's a wealth of information. If you practice with it you'll see how useful it is and may be able to find your answer.  You may want to play around with it using search terms like Cord Henney Lycoming  or Henney Velie, Henney Rolls, Henney 1931 etc... just to see if something else comes to light. I found that simply Henney and selecting the Automobile subject helps refine it the best, for what it's worth..

Very interesting and rare for sure... 

Good luck, really hope you find it someday.

Regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1

After seeing all the pictures of Henney roadsters, I have to speak up.

Henney was a builder of Professional cars. They built Hearses and ambulances.

The passenger cars built are minuscule, your part most likely came from a hearse. 

In the early years they did use some of their own components, but generally they used a purchased chassis. Packard of course, but also Oldsmobiles and Pierce Arrows. When they did use these chassis they always swapped the emblems & hubcaps to show only the Henney name. 

I think that this the book that you need to be searching through:

https://www.amazon.com/Henney-Motor-Company-Complete-History/dp/1583882332