Storing An ABS Unit

ol' yeller

I just found and won a complete ABS system (stuff mounted on firewall) for a 90 Reatta on Ebay for only $90.  At that price I just couldn't pass it up. Mine is still working with no issues but I have a question. How do I best store this for future use? It will be kept in my non heated but dry and somewhat warm garage. I'd like it not to deteriorate as it sits waiting for me to use it. Any advice would be welcome.

Edited by ol' yeller (see edit history)

If the three brake lines are still attached I pinch them tight, fold them over and pinch them again. I then run the pump for just a second to get the fluid everywhere and them wrap it tightly in a garbage bag, taping the bag so it stays tight. This keeps the air out and if there should be any leaking from the lines the fluid is contained in the bag so it doesn't leak anywhere.

I might go a step or two further.

I would assume the brake fluid was old and probably dirty.

Stabilize the unit (clamp in vise) ...since it is a complete unit, the reservoir is still attached. disconnect the gravity feed line between the reservoir and pump housing.

Plug the feed from the reservoir as you want it to catch and hold old fluid.   Rig something to feed clean fluid into the pump housing.  remove and clean the pressure switch end and cavity. 

With the pressure switch removed apply 12 v to the motor, this will pump in new clean fluid and with the pressure switch out, will flush the port to the pressure switch (put a rag in the hole to keep brake fluid from spraying over your garage)  reinstall the pressure switch. 

Now apply 12 v to the motor and let it pull clean fluid into the pump, booster, and accumulator...be able to get about 5 oz into the system.  Remove power and push the brake rod, this will cycle the booster, continue pushing and releasing until the rod gets hard to push, this will indicate there is no reserve in the accumulator.

You should have pushed out all the old fluid into the reservoir...turn it upside down and drain the old fluid out of the reservoir.   No real need to add new fluid for storage.

You now have flushed the old fluid which probably has moisture contamination which is what would rust the pump and booster parts.

Guest Kingsley

Unless I missed a point in all of this, is not some exiting fluid going to be under pressure - so a bit of a warning on this should be in order here?

Kingsley

Thanks guys! I will be careful. I couldn't believe that it had such a low Buy it Now. Now with my Hydac Accumulator and if this is in good working condition, I will have no fear of future braking issues.  Now if can only score some nice spare ABS leads cheap...

Ebay has been good to me lately. I bought a spare ECM for $10, a spare ABS control module for $10, a spare heater/ac switch panel for $10, a PATS training VHS and book for GM techs for $15, and now the ABS pump assembly for $90.  All this and I didn't even get my hands dirty at the local Pick and Pull.

Edited by ol' yeller (see edit history)

I would test the extra parts you bought [not the Teves brake system] to be sure they work. Nothing like having a problem, thinking you have replacement parts to install, but not having them be in working order. All it does is make the repair trail harder to follow.

However good score. 

• Like 1

First thing I did Dave, when they arrived was to put them in my car in place of the originals and test them.  The only one I didn't test was the AC/Heater controls because I just didn't want to bother pulling the dash apart.  You bring up a good point and it was probably ringing in my ears when I did the tests as I'm sure I heard it somewhere before.  Of course the ABS system would be too much work to test but there enough components in the score to make it worthwhile for the money just to have on hand. I did notice the picture of the car it was pulled from had some damage on the front so it could be something has failed. I figured for $90 it was worth the gamble.

• Like 1