1971 Riviera console trans. shifter cable

Guest Roadrunner RUS

Guest Roadrunner RUS

Dear gentlemen,

This 1971 Riviera needs your support - could you please tell me the exact part number of the original console transmission shifter cable (see pic attached) or any substitutes that would fit properly. If possible please advise on your source for this kind of parts (pls provide a link) since I can't find a 100% right part on the web. Do the universal shifter cables work in this case? Does anybody know the length of the original cable?

Thanks!  

Y-116.jpg

11.JPG

tc_6_11.jpg

Just so you are aware, these usually fail due to no ground strap between the engine block and firewall if the failure

is related to binding  between the inner cable and outer sheath. If the failure is internal and not a broken grommet on the end, check

the ground strap. 

23 hours ago, Roadrunner RUS said:

Dear gentlemen,

This 1971 Riviera needs your support - could you please tell me the exact part number of the original console transmission shifter cable (see pic attached) or any substitutes that would fit properly. If possible please advise on your source for this kind of parts (pls provide a link) since I can't find a 100% right part on the web. Do the universal shifter cables work in this case? Does anybody know the length of the original cable?

Thanks!  

Y-116.jpg

11.JPG

tc_6_11.jpg

According to my mast Buick parts catalog, the original part # 1236998.  I cannot honestly say if any of the universal ones would work. I also checked the Parts Voice site to see if any dealer may still have an NOS, but nothing came up.  I'm afraid that your only solution will be to try & find a good used one. The new Riviera catalog from OPGI came today and they don't have any either.

Bob Bonto 

Guest Roadrunner RUS
5 minutes ago, bob71GS said:

According to my mast Buick parts catalog, the original part # 1236998.  I cannot honestly say if any of the universal ones would work. I also checked the Parts Voice site to see if any dealer may still have an NOS, but nothing came up.  I'm afraid that your only solution will be to try & find a good used one. The new Riviera catalog from OPGI came today and they don't have any either.

Bob Bonto 

Many thanks to you, Bob! 

Regards, Vadim.

Guest Roadrunner RUS
31 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Just so you are aware, these usually fail due to no ground strap between the engine block and firewall if the failure

is related to binding  between the inner cable and outer sheath. If the failure is internal and not a broken grommet on the end, check

the ground strap. 

Thanks!

hello

ive got a floor shift cable from a gm 2 door car. that's all I remember about the car I pulled it from. I think it was a mid size ie regal or maybe a pontiac I think I tossed it on my scrap metal pile. ill go look Friday and let you know sunday. I do recall it looking like what you have pictured