Cover photo

3 hours ago, hddennis said:

I'm not understanding the cover photo? Every picture I upload it chops up. Is this designed to just show a part of a photo?

Howard Dennis

Not sure what you mean by cover photo? do you mean your avatar?  If you upload a "square" image it won't crop it.

Avatar.jpg.170fcad79cc9d88b0b8d0c84997f42ac.thumb.jpg.19d0d196b5ad2016698f4ef1021bef86.jpg

10 hours ago, hddennis said:

10 hours ago, hddennis said:

I'm not understanding the cover photo? Every picture I upload it chops up. Is this designed to just show a part of a photo?

Howard Dennis

Cover photo is a new feature that was added with the recent forum update. Yes, it only shows part of a larger photo you upload. it works just like facebook cover photos. you have the opportunity to move the photo with your mouse for the best fit before saving it. It is hard to find a photo that fits the space provided for a cover photo well. Hover over my avatar and you will see my cover photo.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Not sure what you mean by cover photo? do you mean your avatar?  If you upload a "square" image it won't crop it.

Avatar.jpg.170fcad79cc9d88b0b8d0c84997f42ac.thumb.jpg.19d0d196b5ad2016698f4ef1021bef86.jpg

Didn't mean avatar but since you mentioned it, I tried vwlfan's Sunday suggestion of 250x250 and ended up with what is shown above. What setting do I need to get the whole truck?

Howard Dennis

Howard:  When you upload a profile photo the last step in that process should be a screen similar to below which allows you to move the cropping lines (the light blue lines) to adjust your image.  Any part of your image/photos outside of the light blue lines will be cropped.  You can adjust the cropping area by dragging the cropping lines via the small boxes. - Bob

Edited by vwlfan (see edit history)
14 minutes ago, vwlfan said:

Howard:  When you upload a profile photo the last step in that process should be a screen similar to below which allows you to move the cropping lines (the light blue lines) to adjust your image.  Any part of your image/photos outside of the light blue lines will be cropped.  You can adjust the cropping area by dragging the cropping lines via the small boxes. - Bob

profile_adjust.jpg.788f4d1958d21ed840b95

Thanks Bob, I understand that part, what I can't seem to do is end up with a version of this picture that will fall within those lines and show the whole truck like I had for years on the old site. 

Just as a follow-up about signature/avatar photos.  With this version of the forum software the image you want to use for your avatar/signature must be square before you upload the image.  Rectangular images (such as a nice rectangular photo of a car) when uploaded will cropped to be square, and thus your avatar will be missing part of your original photo.  The cropping tool does not allow you to stretch or squeeze a photo to then be used as your avatar.  The software is expecting a square photo to be uploaded/used.