GLOVE BOX LIGHT

LAS VEGAS DAVE

I am assuming that the 1938 is the same as or similar to the one in my 1937. I don't think it is actually a mercury switch, maybe it would best be described as a gravity switch. It works like a mercury switch but is better. While I have not disassembled it since it works just fine, I think it is more of a small ball bearing that rolls into position by gravity to make the electrical connection when you open the glove box door.  If you slide the bulb socket out of the sleeve that it slides into, and remove the bulb, you will find that you can shake the socket assembly and hear what sounds like a small ball bearing rolling around. If you reinstall the bulb you can experiment with it (while keeping the socket grounded against the bracket) and turn the bulb on and off by moving it around at different angles. It is a very simple, inexpensive, yet elegant solution to the problem of switching the light off and on. The more I learn about Buicks of this era, the more impressed I am by their engineering. 

If it is not working and the bulb is good, I would think that you could probably slide the socket out of the assembly, and shake the socket a bit and probably get the switch to start working again.

I fixed the fuel pump so I decided to look at the glove box light. Matthew is correct about the switch being the light bulb socket itself. I shook mine and could hear the bb's rattling around but I could not get juice to the bulb. I did have juice going to the socket but the bb's were not connecting the juice to the lightbulb terminal. I finally took the socket apart. It contained 4 bb's about one fourth the diameter of a regular bb like the ones you shoot in a bb gun. I cleaned the bb's in a electric terminal cleaning solution and then took a dremmel and miniature wire brush to all the surfaces the bb's touch to complete the circuit. It still didn't work perfectly. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I took it apart one more time and added two real bb's from my bb gun collection keeping the smaller ones also. It seems to be working better but still not perfect, it lights about 80% of the time. In any case its an amazing little device that I didn't even see as anything other than an ordinary socket until closer inspection.  Thanks again Matthew for the help.

• Like 1