Headlight bracket differences?

Last night I was out adjusting my headlights because the left one was WAY off. It had been bugging me for a long time and I never got to it because the adjuster screw was stuck (I got it loose).

Anyway, there were always some things about the left headlight on this car that bugged me. #1 being that the "eyebrow" cover was missing. I figured it had been broken a long time ago by a PO and never replaced, hence why the headlight bracket is a bit more weathered than the other side. Now, keep in mind, this car is CLEAN! So, the fact that this bracket looks the way it does just simply stands out. Not to mention the headlight was WAY out of alignment.

Well, I thought maybe the bracket got out of adjustment somehow, so I loosened the bolts and tried moving it...no go. Then I started to really look at the brackets themselves. They are NOT the same!

So, I am suspecting that at least the bracket on this car was replaced at some point for some reason.

I would like to know if the headlight brackets changed at some point? I know that in '90 the core supports of almost all EEK's were changed due to crash standards and the addition of the airbags. Was this something that also happened to the TC's? If so, that would explain the different brackets.

Also, I do have a left "eyebrow" cover from the other TC I have, which is even earlier than this one and it doesn't fit. The distance between the core support and the back of the headlight where the retainer clip snaps into is also less.

I got curious and referenced my 1991 factory parts manual as well as the 2003 issue of Mitchell that includes the TC. Both sources only list one set of numbers for the front lights/brackets/covers for all 3 years depending on left or right side. I also checked the two left (driver's side) brackets that I have and there was no difference in the late 89 and the very early 89 production brackets. The brackets can be put on upside down on the opposite side but the mounting holes would be in the wrong spot, cobbling something could possibly make that work but the cross piece would then be on the top of the headlight.

Last night I was out adjusting my headlights because the left one was WAY off. It had been bugging me for a long time and I never got to it because the adjuster screw was stuck (I got it loose).

Anyway, there were always some things about the left headlight on this car that bugged me. #1 being that the "eyebrow" cover was missing. I figured it had been broken a long time ago by a PO and never replaced, hence why the headlight bracket is a bit more weathered than the other side. Now, keep in mind, this car is CLEAN! So, the fact that this bracket looks the way it does just simply stands out. Not to mention the headlight was WAY out of alignment.

Well, I thought maybe the bracket got out of adjustment somehow, so I loosened the bolts and tried moving it...no go. Then I started to really look at the brackets themselves. They are NOT the same!

So, I am suspecting that at least the bracket on this car was replaced at some point for some reason.

I would like to know if the headlight brackets changed at some point? I know that in '90 the core supports of almost all EEK's were changed due to crash standards and the addition of the airbags. Was this something that also happened to the TC's? If so, that would explain the different brackets.

Also, I do have a left "eyebrow" cover from the other TC I have, which is even earlier than this one and it doesn't fit. The distance between the core support and the back of the headlight where the retainer clip snaps into is also less.

The 'eyebrow' covers are different. 4463174-5 for 89,  4464542-3 for 90-91. The headlamp mounting brackets also different, 4463182-3 for 89,  4464546-7 for 90-91 

The 'eyebrow' covers are different. 4463174-5 for 89,  4464542-3 for 90-91. The headlamp mounting brackets also different, 4463182-3 for 89,  4464546-7 for 90-91 

I just rechecked my books and only the numbers Hemi gave for the 89 are shown. The factory parts book has a print date of August 1990 and the Mitchell crash book is July of 2003. The factory parts book numerical index does not show Hemi's numbers for the 90-91 so if someone has a factory parts book dated later than mine could they look at it and see if the TC part (Q body) electrical section has different numbers than mine? The Mitchell manuals are known for having errors and omissions so there isn't any need to check one of those, I just use it to double check for possible superceded numbers in the newer book.

I just rechecked my books and only the numbers Hemi gave for the 89 are shown. The factory parts book has a print date of August 1990 and the Mitchell crash book is July of 2003. The factory parts book numerical index does not show Hemi's numbers for the 90-91 so if someone has a factory parts book dated later than mine could they look at it and see if the TC part (Q body) electrical section has different numbers than mine? The Mitchell manuals are known for having errors and omissions so there isn't any need to check one of those, I just use it to double check for possible superceded numbers in the newer book.

Where do you suppose I got my numbers from, MARS?  Just what sort of factory parts book do you have Ghostly? It can't be much good. 

You have of course been working for Chrysler for over 50 years. Oh, no wait, you're not old enough for that, are you?

OK you guys, Ghostly has given you a challenge, an assignment, to get to the truth. Let's see who the winner will be.  Even I could be wrong.

Maybe I just need to quit sitting up late at night researching information and part numbers for you all. I need my sleep more than this... 

Well...I have both my early '89 bracket from the 16Vcar and I have the one that I am questioning. If the PN's are on them I can certainly check that way. Sure, I suppose I could have done that right from the beginning, but that wouldn't have been as much fun and it wouldn't have helped out the community as much! ;)

Well...I have both my early '89 bracket from the 16Vcar and I have the one that I am questioning. If the PN's are on them I can certainly check that way. Sure, I suppose I could have done that right from the beginning, but that wouldn't have been as much fun and it wouldn't have helped out the community as much! ;)

Reaper, the part numbers are rarely on an original part although it may appear on a factory replacement part. The numbers I published yesterday are right from a Chrysler Parts Catalog CD for the entire 1989 line and one covering 1990. The 91 TC was a continuation of the 90 model, rebranded 91.

Where do you suppose I got my numbers from, MARS?  Just what sort of factory parts book do you have Ghostly? It can't be much good. 

You have of course been working for Chrysler for over 50 years. Oh, no wait, you're not old enough for that, are you?

OK you guys, Ghostly has given you a challenge, an assignment, to get to the truth. Let's see who the winner will be.  Even I could be wrong.

Maybe I just need to quit sitting up late at night researching information and part numbers for you all. I need my sleep more than this... 

Why do I feel like I have been personally attacked here? I am not questioning Hemi's numbers being valid, just whether my parts book got all the updates it was supposed to have received before being retired from a Chrysler dealership parts counter. The one book I would like to have is the one that has ALL of the superceded part numbers and the replacement numbers that came along later, sometimes in a string of 5 or 6 replacements over the course of 9 or 10 years. NO, I have not worked for Chrysler for 50 years but I did work in a Chrysler dealer parts department starting in 1983 and since then have also worked for various body shops, parts warehouses, NS1 (NOS) parts suppliers/collectors and would much rather have the paper editions of any catalog from any manufacturer rather than the microfiche version after seeing countless errors in those that are the result of bad proofreading: corrections can be handwritten on the paper and I've seen countless examples of that.

At some point on this forum I must have offended Hemi but I'm not sure where or when; but at this point Hemi has offended me with what appears to be a personal attack and I am, of course, not happy about that. I think I will refrain from responding to anything Hemi has to post from now on.

Edited by ghostymosty (see edit history)

Take a nap in the afternoon like I do.  Or is that called a siesta where you are?     :P

Why do I feel like I have been personally attacked here? I am not questioning Hemi's numbers being valid, just whether my parts book got all the updates it was supposed to have received before being retired from a Chrysler dealership parts counter. The one book I would like to have is the one that has ALL of the superseded part numbers and the replacement numbers that came along later, sometimes in a string of 5 or 6 replacements over the course of 9 or 10 years. NO, I have not worked for Chrysler for 50 years but I did work in a Chrysler dealer parts department starting in 1983 and since then have also worked for various body shops, parts warehouses, NS1 (NOS) parts suppliers/collectors and would much rather have the paper editions of any catalog from any manufacturer rather than the microfiche version after seeing countless errors in those that are the result of bad proofreading: corrections can be handwritten on the paper and I've seen countless examples of that.

At some point on this forum I must have offended Hemi but I'm not sure where or when; but at this point Hemi has offended me with what appears to be a personal attack and I am, of course, not happy about that. I think I will refrain from responding to anything Hemi has to post from now on.

Listen guy, when you get old and crotchety like me,  :angry:  you have to get your kicks somewhere... ;) .   B) OK, so I have spent a lot of time with these cars and try hard to be correct with my answers. :wacko:

OK Ghostly, you sound like you know your stuff. You just don't have the right info in this case. I guess we're lucky that I did :rolleyes:

So, with this Ghostly, may I apologize for my crankiness.  :huh: Please :wub: