2002 AACA Publications committee

The AACA Publication committee for 2002 is as follows. Please mail newsletter contest samples to the following:<P>J. Pat McCann VP Publications <BR>3233 Ingram Branch Rd.<BR>Harrington, DE 19952<P>Sharon M. Lee Asst. VP Publications<BR>340 old Plantation Trail<BR>Travelers Rest, SC 29690<P>Joe Vicini Executive VP<BR>3 Robbins Nest Drive<BR>Perrineville, NJ 08535<P>Jeanne Smith Committee member<BR>P.O. Box 417<BR>Hershey, Pa. 17033<P>James Raines AACA National President<BR>2331 Selwyn Ave.<BR>Charlotte, NC 28207<P>Earl D. Beauchamp Jr. VP Regions<BR>P. O. Box 999<BR>Montross, Va 22520<P> smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0<P>[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: peterg ]<P>[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: ronbarn ]<P>[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: Dave Zimmerman ]<P>[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: Dave Zimmerman ]<P>[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: Dave Zimmerman ]<p>[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: Dave Zimmerman ]

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,<P>Stupid question time (on my part)......<P>I assume you mean the change is reflected in Dave Zimmerman's post above. I looked at my mailing list that I made from last years committee notice have been using all along and it has shown her address as P.O. Box 417 in Hershey, all along.<P>I don't see a change...am I overlooking something? confused.gif" border="0

Guest BruceW

Maybe I'm dense or something ....<P>The PO Box 417 (which I must have gotten off the 2001 committtee list as I have only been an editor for 1 year) is the address I had been using all during 2001. The only difference is that the address I previously had said "National AACA Headquarters" directly under Jeane's name. That is why I was questioning if I was reading the post correctly. It even had me go back to checking envelopes from National dated 3-5 years ago to make sure I wasn't losing it. If you say there was a change..I didnt see it but I believe you.<BR> <BR>Its no big deal... just wanted to see if I was missing the point here or something.<P>Guess I should have followed the old saying:<BR>"tis better to remain silent and thought a fool.. than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"<P>....too late for that<p>[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: BruceW ]

You show two city/states for Earl Beauchamp. I presume the correct is his Montross VA address and the Ohio city -- same as Joe Gagliano -- is a typo?

I double-checked my records. I must have copied Dave's list before you modified it, Peter. I had changed the PO Box 417 to PO Box 30, but now I've put it back.<P>Is there a way to highlight changes, if such an edit were to be necessary in the future? Put them in a different color, to show that it's been modified, for example?<P>Jan K.<BR>Wis Region

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BruceW

Ron,<P>Checked this morning and saw that the listing was still the same as what you stated almost 2 weeks ago. Because of this, and because I had not seen a response to your question, I thought I'd bring this thread back to the top in case it was inadvertantly forgotten.<P>I also saw that Bill Smith is on the Publications Committee list on the Officers page and Jim Raynes is not, whereas on the list above, the opposite is so.<p>[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: BruceW ]

Hey Bruce,<BR>I thought it strange that no reply has been posted and I even e-mailed Dave Zimmerman with no reply. frown.gif" border="0 <BR>Then I went back to that National Officers section and noticed that there were other member discrepancies. I concluded that the "Publications Committee" referred to there must be a different committee that reports to the Board of Directors and not the same "Publications Committee" that reviews the newsletters. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <BR>I don't know if my assumption is correct and it sure would have been nice if someone in the know would have posted a response. frown.gif" border="0 <P>I think it's sad that more of our AACA Officers & Directors don't check into this forum at least periodically. frown.gif" border="0 I have learned that there are a number of dedicated AACA members who really care about our hobby who can be found on this DF. It's too bad that more of the "big-wigs" don't realize this and take advantage of this terrific means of communication. shocked.gif" border="0 <P>Oh well, that could become a whole other thread! rolleyes.gif" border="0

Guest BruceW

Thank you Father Ron for the clarification on Sharon Lee. It clears up an important question for the editors and is very much apreciated.<P>Does anyone have word on the Bill Smith/Jim Raines discrepancy between the two lists? Which should it be?<P>And if it is suppose to be Bill Smith, do editors have to send individual copies to both Jeanne and Bill Smith?<p>[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: BruceW ]

Only one copy needs to be sent to headquarters. Sending a copy to Jeanne will take care of both Bill and her. The problem about Joe and Sharon apparently relates to a last minute change Jim Raines made in the assignments that did not get on the list that was sent to Peter G. <P>While the posting of the committee may have been somewhat imperfect, it is a let better than in the "good old days" of snailmail! wink.gif" border="0

Guest BruceW

Ron,<P>Perhaps David Zimmerman is "out of hand" at the present time. He has always been good at making timely relies to past email inquiries I have sent him. He has always impressed me as being a capable officer and willing to set things straight. <P>There may be several reason why the "bigwigs" are not more active in the DF.<P>One..the DF is still fairly young and relatively small. We have a little over 7,000 registered users but there are nearly 63,000 total members, placing our potential voice as about 10% of the total membership. However, the percentage of active DFers voicing their opinion/comments on a regular basis here appears to be even smaller. Remember HVS had 950 "signatures" for the 5 min/7 max petition but that is only approximately 1% of the total membership. Hopefully over time, the voice of the DF will become stronger communications tool.<P>Maybe we need to be more proactive. People always say to write to your Congressman... perhaps when an answer cannot be obtained by the regular DF means we should implement a coordinated email campaign to all members of the appropriate committee that can provide answers. At time there are DFers that send an email to an officer in regards to a post but individual emails may not have the same effect as many could have. The email doesn't have to go into detail on the question and be critical.. but only to alert the members that their knowledge is needed to answer a question on the DF and they should check it out. If a post needs an answer from an officer, and no interest is shown by any officers, a posting should be made to inform the DFers to implement an email campaign to selected officers that potentially can help. Enough of these might show that there are members concerned over a topic and prompt the officers to reply. <BR>It would also show the officers that the membership is watching to see how well they serve the membership.<P>Maybe I am just too naive.....

OK, I'm no longer an officer and I will not try to be defensive or apologetic but maybe we should give a little slack here. The appropriate directors will be informed of this discussion and things should improve.<P>Now for the listing of who should receive the newsletters, it is not rocket science. The following is the formula:<P>1. Headquarters - Jeanne Smith and as mentioned above, Bill will get the same issue.<P>2. Vice President - Publications - Pat McCann (this should be obvious)<P>3. Assistant VP - Publications - Sharon Lee (This was a last minute change from Joe Gagliano) (this position should also be obvious since this individual will likely succeed the current VP)<P>4. AACA President - Jim Raines (This President is always on the list)<P>5. Executive Vice President - Joe Vicini (He needs to understand what is happening to prepare for his year in the barrel)<P>6. VP - Regions - Earl Beauchamp, Jr. (The newsletter awards are a joint presentation of the VP - Publications and the VP - Regions and the VP Regions is there so that he/she can be more informed about the happenings in the clubs.)<P>This is the same formula that we have used for at least 15 years. The only real confusion was the change from Joe to Sharon as Ass't VP - Publications.

Before I begin to look like a bad guy, allow me to clarify my last post. First, I met Dave Z. in Philly and found him to be a very personable and dedicated person. I too commend him on posting the new Publications Committee here so quickly... it's too bad last minute changes were made. I'm sure the correct list will be received by snail mail, like we all received in the past.<P>I don't believe that Dave Z. ignored my e-mail and I'm sure there's a good reason he didn't or couldn't reply. Also, I didn't use the term "big-wigs" in a way meant to be derogatory! I think we are lucky to have the team of "big-wigs" in place to continue the leadership of the AACA.<P>I also agree that our leadership doesn't cater to the wims of each member and also realize that they can't! I'm sure that their jobs are so overwhelming that the biggest problems must be addressed while smaller ones take a back seat. There are only 24 hours in a day... and that brings me to the wish I made, that more officers could find a few minutes to periodically check in on the DF. I'm sure some of them would realize what a valuable tool they have here!<P>Anyway, we now have the correct list and we still didn't have to wait for snail mail! Thanks to all who helped answer my original post. smile.gif" border="0

In case you didn't notice, Dave Zimmerman edited his original post that includes the latest changes to the Publications Committee. smile.gif" border="0 I printed it out and used it to update my address book. The only discrepency that shows up is whether Sharon Lee lives on Old Plantation Trail or Old Plantation Road. No big deal and I thank Dave for getting the info to us way before "snailmail"! wink.gif" border="0 <P><B>Thanks, Dave!!!</B> grin.gif" border="0

Guest BruceW

Got the paper version of the Publications Committee list today via snail mail. I noticed that the printed list still has Joe Gagliano listed instead of Sharon Lee.<P>I am sure that National will take care of this, but in the mean time, it may be helpful if any of the editors here that know some of the other editors which do not access to the DF may want to contact those editors and notify them of the change.<p>[ 03-25-2002: Message edited by: BruceW ]

Okay, the last Directors Handbook I received, listing Committee members, shows Joe Gagliano as Asst. VP Publications (I looked at it again 3 minutes ago); and that's what I have in the upcoming Rummage Box. I received a letter listing the Publications Committee members yesterday, as did all of the Editors, but I passed it to our new Editor last night, and didn't have reason to double check it. I'll make a phone call tomorrow and make sure I've got it right in the Rummage Box, which, by the way, will be out on time.<BR> And yes, I alternate between Florida and Montross, but I trust the post office in Montross the most and continue to receive most of my mail there and have it forwarded when I'm in Florida.<BR> Earl Beauchamp, VP - Regions<p>[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: Dynaflash8 ]

Hold on and wait for another response, hopefully from the President. I have been assured that the change to Sharon Lee was made during the last meeting of the Board. Apparently HQ did not catch this change. Dave Z. did. Just hole your breath and hopefully there will be a DF and hardcopy clarification. blush.gif" border="0

I have tracked down my letter form Headquarters and it verifies that Joe Gagliano is Asst. VP Publications. I have a call into our President, who was not at home. You may rest assured that before the Rummage Box goes to press I will get the correct answer to this. I was at all the Board Meetings and I do not have any record or any changes. But, we'll see. Happy Easter.