1924 Paige Continental 10A engine for sale

31plymouth

Interesting/curious engine...

Most of my period parts catalogs (1924-33)list the 8A, a couple list the 8AA, and a 1930 McCord gasket lists "Paige 6-66-70-21-24 1920-26...Cont'l 8AA-9AA-10A" in their Paige sections...that McCord is the only one of 8 period catalogs that mentions the 10A...

That catalog shows the 8A, 9A, 10A (33/4x5)and the 6J (also 33/4x5)) and 6T (35/8x51/4) sharing the head, manifold, oil pan and gear cover gaskets listed...it does not list any 8AA or 9AA...

A 1936 catalogs indicates the 10A shares the piston assembly with 8A, 8AA, 9A, 9AA and other Cont'ls, but the 10A is not listed in the valve and bearing sections, altho 8A appears under valves and 8A and part of 9A prod appearis under bearings...

Replacement parts catalogs, of course, are never complete, often do not account for production changes and include the inevitable misprints...

A preliminary conclusion is that the block available might also be of use to 8A.8AA/9A/9AA owners, and, possibly even 6J owners...

Hi Bud,

I have a 1922 Paige 6-66 with the "8AP" engine, the "P" presumably a Paige variation on the 8A engine.  About ten years ago I acquired a 1925 Paige 6-70 parts chassis which had the 10A engine, which remains intact as a backup.  The 10A looks the same as the 8A, other than improved manifolding.  There MAY be internal differences, for example:  Couldn't find replacement valves for the 6-66, but a friend acquired a NORS set for me, apparently for a 10A, which had larger 0.375 stems.  So we reamed out the guides...

Both 8A and 10A use the same gaskets and share the same B&S, 3.75 x 5.

For the second A in 8AA or 9AA, it MAY be that it's a variation for another using vehicle whose names begins with that letter--or perhaps for industrial use.

I can't speak to the 9A or other versions, but hope someone can.

For what it may be worth...  :-)

Curious point about your valves...

That 36 catalog lists 6J, 6T, 7A, 8A, 8AP, 9A, 10A as all having the same valves---1 15/16 head diam, 69/16 stem length and .372 stem diam with groove lock...the only difference in the valve ass'bly is that the 6J has it's own set of springs, and the 9a and 10A have their own springs... a 1944 Sealed Power catalog agrees with listing but has no specs...

It's past my bedtime here; will comment on piston ass'bly, the AA and AP in AM...

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...