38 Special pinion removal

jeff

Have you removed the pin?

Look in the

H.A.M.B for "Technical For you Buick Torque tube guys that’s want to change gear ratio" http://www.jalopyjournal.com/

here AACA.org / Buick - Post War/ 55 Special drive shaft won't seperate from pinion (by special55)

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/129045-55-special-drive-shaft-wont-seperate-from-pinion/

(do not have a direct link now-will do later)

Edit:

added 1 link

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Okay I'll probably hear a lot of warnings that what I did wasn't a good idea and maybe it wasn't but it worked for me without damaging the pinion.

I took the pinion nut off and pin out (you already did that). I was frustrated at this point so I heated the shaft with a torch (I didn't care if it hurt the shaft but it doesn't seem like it did). Once it was heated I laid the pinion and shaft on a piece of cardboard so it would slide without damaging the gears and used a 4x6 barn support and kept sliding the pinion against the post turning it a little each time. Took a few heating sliding attempts with some PB Blaster between attempts, but it worked.

Try at you own risk.

Edited by 1937-44 (see edit history)

What did you bump against?  The back edge of the pinion or the outer race of the double row bearing?

That's actually encouraging, because it sounds like with heat, not too much force was required.  I think if you didn't get cherry red, you wouldn't have affected the integrity of the driveshaft or pinion spline. 

Also a bit concerned about going back in with my new pinion.  Lining up the hole for the pin, with this brute force method, is a concern as well.

As I recall I was beating the back of the pinion, force was definitely needed. To be honest I think at one point I was even using a block of wood and a large hammer which was probably the final attempt that worked. The heat definitely helped. I didn't get it cherry red, but I was getting it close  (HOT). Even at that it took a few cycles. Once it finally budged a little it was all downhill and I could taste the celebratory beer.

I still haven't reinstalled the pinion in the new shaft so I don't know how challenging it will be.