52k mile 1 owner 63 Riviera for $8k on CL

cjp69

Guest cbreit01

I'm always a bit skeptical when no phone number is listed and the pictures are blurry.  This has potential Fraud written all over it. Buyer Beware!

I'm always a bit skeptical when no phone number is listed and the pictures are blurry.  This has potential Fraud written all over it. Buyer Beware!

Or maybe it is just owned by an old person and he doesn't have recent digital photos, and instead scanned "regular" pictures on his $99 printer and used them?  If he truly is the original owner, that would likely put him/her at 70+ years old. 

With all of the scams out there (on the buy side probably as much as the sell side), I wouldn't (and don't) list my phone number in a CL ad.  I use an anonymous email address, that way I control the contact, not the buyer.  I then email with the potential buyer to determine if they are real and get their phone # before giving out mine. 

I go along with the idea that these are older photos scanned.  This car is 52 years old; if it were purchased by someone right out of college at 22 years old, that would make the owner 74 now.  I know that I couldn't afford a new Riviera when I graduated, so perhaps the owner is even older.  One thing that leads me to believe that the ad may be genuine is that, believe it or not, the seller listed the VIN.  With that info, you could run a Car Fax on it and see what other info is available.  I'd also say that if this were a scam, there would be no mention of rust.  Basic car - no a/c, no tilt, but it appears to have leather seats. 

Ed