'62 Skylark

Tom_Tams

I've just about got the body work done on my '62 Skylark convertible and would like to keep it as close to correct as possible. Most of the forums I've visited have claimed that the interior of the trunk was painted with a speckled paint but mine seemed to be body colour, the interior is painted a brown colour over zinc chromate primer. Since the body was painted with a lacquer, I'm assuming that the interior brown is also a lacquer. Were all the A body Buicks painted like this? I'm particularly interested in the trunk colour because that will show, the interior paint won't.

I don't know the answer..........however this sort of thing happened on different cars because they were built in two or more plants.   Most people know that Chevys in the 50's had differences when built in the California plant.    I don't know if the Skylark, Olds 85 and Pontiac Tempest were built in more than one plant but that could be the explanation of some small differences.

Do you know the plant location for your car?

I know of a 67 Skylark with the speckled paint in the trunk, and a 67 Skylark in Canada with the body color in the trunk.  Just to say either way seems correct.  I'd look at the inside bottom surface of the rear quarter area near the trunk lid, and go with what ever is on there.   Photograph what you find and then hang onto the photo if you ever plan to have your car judged.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)