Fuel and Temp Gauge Help

tomsupon1

I don't know what year or model you are talking about but judging by the pictures that is all one unit.  It is a capillary tube filled with ether that heats you and drives the guage.

If it comes apart you lose all the fluid inside.  You have to pull the end out of the engine block.

Normally this is not easy, it may require soaking it with pb blaster to loosen it.

Why do you want to take it apart ?

First of all, its always helpfull to say what car your talking about

That temp bulb has to come out from the engine, its a sealed tube all the way, If it breaks, the gauge will have to be repaired

On my 58 buick, the bulb was stuck in the head, I was able to get a core plug out from the back of the head and gently pry it out from underneath

Fuel gauge should be electric?, perhaps its an oil gauge

Any temp gauge that has a capillary has to be undone from the engine, oil pressure gauges with a capillary normally have a replaceable line, so, that can be undone from the gauge itself

Mick

Sorry gentlemen. I forgot my manners. The pictures are of a 1930 Buick 47. There were two pictures. The first was of my gas gauge. The housing is broken and I purchased a new one from Bob's. I have the nut loose on the top of the gauge but the tube does not come out. I have to remove the line in order to install the new back plate for the gauge. The second picture is of the temp probe in the block. I am trying to get this disconnected so I can remove the gauge both to be able to polish it and I am planning on removing the body in the near future. It does not seam to come apart at the gauge end either. I have soaked this temp probe twice already but it doesn't seam to want to move. It is just sitting in there correct?

• Like 1

If it is stuck, let it soak in PB blaster...Apply gentle heat and let it cool..  It may take a while (like Days) to do this over and over and over again.

Or your can ruin the guage and tube trying to muscle it out and pay $ 200 for a replacement or repair.

Sorrry  no easy way on this one....